Photos

Photographer's Note

CASTLE OF SAN TERENZIANO
It is located on the road Gualdo Cattaneo- Todi, 515 meters above sea level , now inhabited by about a thousand people. in defense of the population. The origins of the town are very old ( first century AD ) was called by the Romans site for petrosal rich quarries of limestone and travertine. During the empire of Hadrian 's remains were moved Terenziano , martyr and the first bishop of Todi, along with Flacco did kill at the behest of the emperor : from that moment on , the plateau Petroso took the name of St. Terenziano . The castle, built in the fourteenth century, according to a typological traditional square plan , the local stone , always followed the political and military events of Todi ; dwelling within the walls still bears the coat of arms on the lintel of Acts. In 1354 he was attacked by the militia of between Moriale of Albarno , the , who, after having unsuccessfully attacked and looted Beroide Spello and Trevi and Montefalco territories , was heading at a time of Todi. In 1440 , after the destruction of the castle of Castelvecchio by Francesco I Sforza , the priors of Todi assigned the bell of the church to the community of St. Terenziano . In the Renaissance they established residence Cesi , who built the palace of the same name , still visible today ; Angelo Cesi , in fact, commissioned the architect Valentino Martelli to build some buildings in Todi and near Gualdo Cattaneo. Inside the castle is the church of S. Terenziano , rectory of a vast territory dependent Chapter Todi ; was governed by the canons , a priest and a chamberlain . It ' a rare example of a building formed by two superimposed churches : the bottom of the eleventh century , where it was placed the sarcophagus with the remains of the saint , built at the upper end of '200 . In 1715 , the tomb of the saint was opened, and the ashes collected in a reliquary , transported under the altar of the upper church , later restored by the bishop of Todi. The castle of S.Terenziano was always part of the municipality of Todi ; was spun off in 1815 and elected community enfeoffed in Collazzone with the other castles : Grutti , Towers , Barattano , Saragano , Marcellano , Well, Ceralto and Cistern. In 1829 it was common to him ; in 1861 it was united in Gualdo cattaneo.Sulla door, flanked by a majestic square tower still the prominent emblem of the eagle Todi .

snunney, omid266, delpeoples, ikeharel, fritzi007 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9589 W: 132 N: 18649] (120566)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2014-05-10
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/5.6, 1/125 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2014-05-11 3:40
Viewed: 575
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Silvio Sorcini (Silvio1953) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9589 W: 132 N: 18649] (120566)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH