Photos

Photographer's Note

One workshop.

In the picture Piazza San Magno the main place of Legnano a city 2O KM North east of Milan.
The Church is the Basilica di San Magno the building on the left is the City hall.

about the Church:
''It is dedicated to St. Magnus . It was built in the first decades of the sixteenth century, probably by Giovanni Antonio Amadeo or his follower Thomas Rodari , thanks to the support of families and Lampugnani Vismara . Before the church , the community legnanese referred to the church of San Salvatore , whose construction should go back to the middle of the tenth century. The latter stood in the same place where the basilica and collapsed at the end of the fifteenth century. The only part that survived was the bell tower , of which traces remain in the complex of the present basilica ; the remains of the church were demolished to allow the construction of the new temple dedicated to St. Magnus.

The first stone was laid on May 4, 1504 , while the construction lasted until June 6, 1513 with the completion of the building works. It was consecrated December 15, 1529 after the work was suspended from 1516 to 1523 for lack of funds. The complex has the same architectural elements found later in Lodi , Saronno , Pavia, Crema. Up to 1610 the entrance to the basilica was located at the current Town Hall and then , the current was turned 90 ° to the north. In the cited as the input was moved to the current location . This change was the work of Richini . At the time , the current Piazza San Magno was located on the main cemetery of Legnano , which was used to bury the bodies of ordinary people. The nobles indeed buried their dead inside the churches , while the bodies of the people were buried in the vicinity of the temples. The cemetery was used already mentioned before the construction of the Basilica of San Magno . Later was built a large underground room where the dead were buried . This cemetery was known as " the Foppone " and was used until 1808.

The square in front of the basilica , dedicated at first to Umberto I ( king of Italy from 1878 to 1900 ) , was dedicated to the patron saint of the city after World War II .

On March 29, 1950 with a papal bull , Pope Pius XII raised the church to the Roman basilica minor.''

Royaldevon, cornejo, besnard, jjcordier, PaulVDV, mirosu has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 553
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by ALESSANDRO MACCHI (SWEETFREEDOM) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1473 W: 0 N: 2787] (21776)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH