Photos

Photographer's Note

Events of worship [edit source ]

The liturgy in the sanctuary belonged to the parish of Leveled up to 1530 with the new church initially for some periods we appointed a chaplain fixed employee still the parish priest. But it was closed during cold winter . The first chaplain was a certain Francis , quoted from the documents of the farm in the mid- sixteenth century.

Among the devotions here celebrated bought worship space of the Rosary, in whose name it was established in 1598, the Society of the Altar of the Rosary in the head of the left aisle .

The cult of N.S. Guard was appreciated by the apostolic visitor Msgr. Bossio, who in 1582 visited all the churches of the archdiocese of Genoa.

Among the graces recorded here resembles that in between Giuseppe Maria Simbelli , conversely, of the Trinitarian Fathers of Santa Maria della Mercede , of the parish of St. Benedict of Fassolo ( San Benedetto al Porto) , which suffered from phthisis , July 26, 1727 that he brought the sanctuary and received healing. The miracle was declared by a decree of 17 June 1728 by the Vicar General of the Archbishop Mgr . Joseph M. Bowline .

Indulgences and privileges were referred to the sanctuary by the Archbishop De Franks (1727), by Pope Clement XIV (1773 ) , by Pope Pius VI ( 1797) . The sanctuary was a place of pilgrimage for nearly all the parishes in the district.

An important pilgrimage took place July 21, 1871 , on the occasion of the Pontifical Jubilee of Pius IX. It followed that of 16 June 1876 on the occasion of the thirtieth year of the pontificate of Pius IX always . On 7 July 1876 he went on a visit to the shrine , the archbishop of Genoa Msgr. Salvatore Magnasco , repeating the event August 23, 1887 . These two visits also sanctioned the start of the reconstruction work of the sanctuary in its present form .

Last pastoral visit of the nineteenth century was that of October 4, 1897 the Archbishop of Genoa Msgr. Tommaso Reggio .

Our Lady of the Guard ( often referred to Our Lady of the Guard) became a Genoese devotion to the personal initiative of Pope Benedict XV, Genoa , who raised the shrine to the title of minor basilica .
The same pope in 1917 he built a kiosk in the Vatican gardens in which he put a statue of the Madonna herself given to him by the Genoese .

In 1990, Archbishop John Baskets placed under the auspices of the Madonna della Guardia diocesan mission that would open two years later, ie in 1992 , in the barrio of Guaricano , in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic .

Didi, jimmj63 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 490
Points: 14
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Simona Travaglini (SimoAle) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 52 W: 0 N: 81] (636)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH