Photos

Photographer's Note

Da Wikipedia, l'enciclopedia libera.

Il castello di Torrate Ŕ un castello che si trova nell'omonima frazione del comune di Chions, in provincia di Pordenone.
Il castello trae probabilmente origine da una antica fortificazione costruita attorno all'anno Mille, a seguito delle invasioni degli Ungari, lungo l'antica strada che collega San Vito al Tagliamento a Motta di Livenza.

Fu in possesso della famiglia Sbrojavacca, feudatari del patriarca di Aquileia, dal XII al XIV secolo. Nel 1251 fu assediato e conquistato dalle truppe di Alberigo da Romano, ma poco dopo venne riconquistato dalle truppe aquileiesi e riconsegnato ai feudatari.

Nel 1511 il castello di Torrate fu gravemente saccheggiato dalle truppe di Leonardo di Prodolone, ribelle alla Repubblica di Venezia.

Nel XIX secolo assunse le sembianze di un edificio residenziale a seguito di una radicale ristrutturazione, ad opera dell'architetto Francesco Maria Preti, e nel 1820 venne parzialmente demolito, preservando un'unica torre quadrata.

Si conserva anche la chiesa di San Giuliano, costruita nel 1332 e riedificata nel 1661, in passato inglobata nel castello e soggetta all'abbazia di Sesto. Nel 1818 pass˛ sotto la giurisdizione della diocesi di Concordia. Il campanile merlato fu costruito nel 1934.

ENGLISH

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Torrate Castle is a castle that is situated in the hamlet of Chions, in the province of Pordenone.
The castle probably originated from an ancient fortress built around the year one thousand, following the invasions of the Hungarians, along the ancient road connecting San Vito al Tagliamento in Motta di Livenza.

Sbrojavacca was in possession of the family, vassals of the Patriarch of Aquileia, from the twelfth to the fourteenth century. In 1251 it was besieged and conquered by the troops of Alberigo Romano, but was soon recaptured by the troops returned to Aquileia and feudal lords.

In 1511 the castle was badly Torrate plundered by the troops of Leonardo Prodolone, rebellious to the Republic of Venice.

In the nineteenth century took the form of a residential building following a radical restructuring, designed by architect Francesco Maria Preti, and in 1820 it was partially demolished, preserving a single square tower.

It also maintains the church of San Giuliano, built in 1332 and rebuilt in 1661, previously incorporated in the castle and subject to the Abbey of Sesto. In 1818 it came under the jurisdiction of the Diocese of Concordia. The bell tower was built in 1934.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1367
Points: 42
Discussions
Additional Photos by Marino Rubinich (kennyblack) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 361 W: 16 N: 946] (4207)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH