Photos

Photographer's Note

Pictured here is Connolly Station situated on Amiens Street in North Central Dublin.

The station was designed by William Deane Butler & Iarnród Éireann Architects and built between 1844 and 1846. Originally named Dublin Station, this was the first of Dublin's four major railway stations to be built. It was built for the Drogheda and Dublin Railway Company and was renamed Connolly Station after James Connolly, one of the main figures in the 1916 rising.

It is designed as a symmetrical 5 bay façade with three towers and a huge central entrance arch. The central tower is distinctly Italianate in design, and it is considered that the design of the building does not work very well from an aesthetic point of view. Some people say that the façade of the building is not long enough to warrant the three towers, and the central tower is too high, throwing off the balance of the design.

The large central tower is built to be visible at the junction of Talbot street and Amiens street so that it can act as a beacon on both streets as to the location of the station.

While originally serving the Drogheda to Dublin rail line, today the station is the hub for many more lines than this. The station serves the Dart line (Dublin Area Rapid Transit) a coastal commuter train that runs the length of the coast of the city, as well as three Intercity routes; the enterprise line to Belfast, the Sligo intercity and the line to Rosslare Europort which connects passengers to ferries bound for Wales and France.

The Dart line also runs to Dun Laoghaire connecting the Stena line ferry to Holyhead where connecting trains can be boarded for London. As well as this, commuter trains from Dundalk, Drogheda Maynooth, Enniscorthy and Gorey still use this station.

In recent years, the station was overhauled with the construction of a completely new entrance at its south flank and an interior revamp. The old ramp which allowed buses to drive up into the station was removed and a new glass canopy built making the station a new terminus for the Luas (Dublins tram system). It is also only minutes walk from Busaras, Dublin's main bus station making this area of the city a vital place for Dublin and Irelands transport network.

On the night of May 31st - 1941, this station took a direct hit from a German bomb. This happened as one of the 4 bombs which fell in the North Strand area of Dublin.
This was the fourth bombing of Ireland, and the second of Dublin by the Germans, and it was on this night that the highest number of people died. 28 people lost their lives just a couple of streets away from here when a bomb (believed to be a landmine) sank through freshly lain tarmac on a residential road, causing all of the surrounding houses to collapse. 17 houses were totally demolished and around 50 others extensively damaged. As well as the loss of 28 lives, 90 people were injured, 300 buildings damaged and 400 people left homeless. Near to this place, a small park remembers those who died in the North Stand bombings.

It was the destruction of this area, and the need to rehome those people that led to the development of a number of Dublin's North side suburbs, including the densely populated area of Cabra.

Thanks for looking!

Photo Information
Viewed: 746
Points: 38
Discussions
Additional Photos by Noel Byrne (Noel_Byrne) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2453 W: 12 N: 5724] (19911)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH