Gyles' Quay is an isolated stretch of beach located in County Louth, Ireland. It was named after Ross Gyles who build a wood structure there in 1780. It was later rebuilt in stone in 1824 and survives to this day.
The long isolated beach with accessible hinterland made it very attractive to smugglers who used the beach for importing wine and tobacco. In 1823 the authorities constructed a coastguard watch station to limit the illegal import
Nobody has marked this note useful