This little known castle is among the most spectacular in Ireland, crowning a rocky outcrop in the hills north-west of Dundalk, Co. Louth. It was the seat of the De Verdon family, who had first come to Ireland on John's expedition of 1185. Castle Roche or as it is known in the old records "Castlellum de Rupe" or de la Roche -The Castle of the rocks. The stately majestic ruins of Roche castle are still in fine preserve. It was formerly a frontier castle of the English pale. Nicholas de Verdon (who died in 1316) was in charge during the Bruce Invasion (Edward Bruce, brother of Robert Bruce).The Manor of Roche evidently suffered badly during this time for in 1316-17 it was reported that no profit could be received from the land and by 1332 the castle itself was lying burnt at the hand of the Irish. Later the Norman family Bellew took possession of the castle. A hosting of all English forces in Ireland took place here in 1561. St Oliver Plunkett, whose head can be seen in the church in Drogheda, visited the castle and it was finally laid to ruin by Oliver Cromwell in 1641.
Nobody has marked this note useful