Driving on the F910 - a remote mountain track in Iceland - through the Vikursandur dessert (North-east Iceland). The street is only open during the summer months and not recommended during bad weather. It's basically a path through the rocks. It requires careful driving and it can happen that you can't see the exact way the street is suppose to go..
Neil Armstrong was training for the Apollo 11 mission on the Askja Caldera (around 30 kilometers to the west from the photo).
Read more about the dessert on BBC article Rolling back Iceland's big desert
Google Map link for full screen view.
- Copyright: Cedric Huesler (keepthebyte) (86)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2005-06-24
- Categories: Nature
- Camera: Olympus Stylus Verve S
- Exposure: f/10.0, 1/100 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2006-12-10 15:16