Photos

Photographer's Note

The Heroes’ Tower or Heroes’ Gate was built in 1932 in eclectic style. It was completed by the 400-year anniversary of the Turkish siege. Currently it is one of Kőszeg’s symbol. It was designed by Flóris Opaterny. In the place of Heroes’s Tower there stood the southern Lower Gate-tower, demolished in 1880 that was one of the most important defensive points in the town since the 13th century. However, the besiegers seldom laid a siege to this gate directly since the moat was the deepest here and the drawbridge was inaccessible. This gate was the most important entrance of the town as it welcomed everyone coming with peaceful intention and was also employed to keep the enemy from the town. This gate was under the protection of the Old Tower that we have already seen during our walk before, the distance of which was so long that the protectors could use their weapons the most effectively against the enemy. This gate can be seen in the coat-of-arms of the town and the key to it was the symbol of the mayor’s power, too. The tower also hosted the musicians who played their music at noon and in the evenings since 1723 and who were paid by Tamás Nádasdy Foundation. Before 1723, the town drummer gave signals at the most important parts of the day and he also alerted at fire.

O the right of the Heroes’ gate there stands the so-called General House. The machicolation, the arched cellar and the double arched loggia all refer to the medieval renaissance style. City magistrate announced here their decisions and sentences. As far as we know, no similar loggia has been found in Hungary yet. This house hosted the catholic people chased out of their church between 1563 and 1671. The town bought the house from Tamás Nádasdy in 1719 and placed the general of the mounted garrison troops. This fact refers to its name. Since 1977, it has been the restorers’ workshop of the local museum and some office were placed here and also, there’s an exhibition presenting the craftsmanship of Kőszeg. You can reach the panorama balcony of Heroes’ Tower from here where you can admire the wonderful view of Kőszeg.

Kőszeg

The small town with nearly 12,000 residents, with sub-alpine climate, is situated at the foothills of the Alps. The settlement and its vicinity at the foot of the Kőszeg hills, in the valley of the brook Gyöngyös has been inhabited since the 6th-7th centuries. In the 14th century it was given the rank of free royal town. The castle built in the13th century was named after captain Miklós Jurisics, who managed to hold up the Turkish troops advancing towards Vienna in 1532 with the help of the inhabitants. Its guilds, trade, vine growing and wine making, schools have a long history. The mediaeval town centre was not affected by the historical events, so inside the one-time town walls, the remains of which can still be seen, the houses have been preserved in their original form in Jurisics square and in the neighbouring streets.
(Source-www.Koszeg.hu & hungary.com)

yeln, snunney, Royaldevon, vasilpro, JCG, Fante, jlbrthnn, jjcordier, danos, saxo042 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1004
Points: 40
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH