Photos

Photographer's Note

In the historical centre of Pécs

Cathedral of St Peter and Paul (Székesegyház - Szent Péter és Pál)

The Catherdal is among the most important historical heritage of the town. Built in the 11th-12th century incorporating parts of an earlier 4th-5th-century church, the cathedral's current neo-Romanesque look dates from the late 19th century.

The time when the Italian and French masters created its statues was a golden age in the life of the Catherdal. The 11th-century figural column heads indicate the work of experienced artists. A similar quality can be found at King St Stephen's buildings in Buda and Esztergom.
The current form of the Catherdal was achieved in 1891 with the cooperation of several eminent artists. The frescoes of the main and side naves were painted by the German Moritz von Beckerath and Karl Andrea and those of the chapel by Bertalan Székely and Károly Lotz. The figural wooden carvings are the works of György Zala and György Kiss.
The red marble tabernacle situated in the Corpus Christi chapel was finished in early 16th century. Thought to have been created in Esztergom by Johannes Fiorentinus, it is a supremely valuable example of Hungarian Renaissance sculptural art. Thanks to the carefully carried out alterations, the carved stone artefacts were preserved. The statues of apostles on the main facade are the works of Baranya-born György Kiss.

Prebendal Archives and Presbytery – in the foreground

The eye-catching sight of the Dóm square has been completed by the construction of the unified block of the Cartulary and the Presbytery. This building closes the eastern side of the square, and together with the opposite Bishop’s Palace, ensures the central role of the Cathedral. The first plans were made by architect János Krammer of Pécs in 1777. The St. Peter and Paul burial chamber was found - under the walls, during the demolition of Bishop Szatmáry’s former palace - after the beginning of the work. The work was suspended then, and it continued only in 1780. Considering the protection of the burial chamber, new plans were made by architect Sartory of Trento. Only the northern wing - the Cartulary - was completed that time; the southern block of the Presbytery was added in 1880. The frontispiece with the clock, closed by a tympanum above the central bay was placed there in the late 1880s, during the restoration of the Cathedral. An arched passage-way to Káptalan Street is added to the Presbytery.
The rich corpus of the Prebendal Cartulary has been flourishing since the 13th century. The cathedral chapter brought off the documents of his archives from the Turkish troops invading the city to Szigetvár, then later to Pozsony. Those that were left in Pécs were perished. Today it provides a significant collection for research again. The oldest document dates back to 1329. (Source: vendégváró)

dip, alive, alive, snunney, timecapturer, saxo042, bona, jlbrthnn, vasilpro, RhodieIke, siamesa has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1217
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH