Photos

Photographer's Note

Relaxation on the main square & The Hotel Nádor, Pécs

Once the water from four canals arrived here from four different directions and thus today's Széchenyi Square in Pécs was formerly called Four Canal Street.

Széchenyi Square is the centre of Pécs and as such plays an important role in the life of the town.
In the market of bygone days, where up to the early 20th century women from the surrounding villages dressed in colourful traditional costumes sold their produce, visitors today can be witnesses of craft fairs and merriments. One of these is the Easter Wait (Húsvétvárás) including a fair of hand-ornamented painted eggs from all over the country on the weekend before Easter each year. Each September, as a part of the Pécs Festival (Pécsi Napok), the square is the venue for the Festival of Grapes and Wines (Szőlő és Bor Ünnepe) with a fair, a vintage parade and tastings of the famous Baranya wines.

However, an everyday hustle and bustle is typical for the square, even when no celebration is scheduled. Students and tourists gather here, as do the locals of Pécs, making it a pleasant place to meet and chat. The young sit up on the wall that embraces the square, while the older citizens of Pécs (or the 'old vine-stocks' as they call themselves) stand around discussing the joys and sorrows of life on the corner of the pedestrianised King Street (Király utca) that opens from the square.

Hotel Nádor (Nádor Szálló)

The Schönherr merchant family of Pécs had an exclusive inn built on Széchenyi square in 1846. The hotel was addressed to the Nádor, or the Palatine of Hungary, which was the highest feudal administrative rank of the country before 1848. The new establishment had thirty rooms and a café. The curiosity of the inn was that the dome of the restaurant could be opened up with a peculiar manual device, so the guests could have a dinner under the starlit sky. Following the reconstructions according to the plans of Imre Schlauch a new, three-storey, secessionist Hotel Nádor opened in 1902 that soon became the central venue of the town's tourism. The ground level housed a restaurant and a very popular café that entertained the local citizens. The commander-in-chief of the occupying Russian army chose Hotel Nádor as their headquarters in November 1944. Following the liberation of Hungary the hotel became a property of the state. Hotel Nádor was receiving guests until 1989. The reconstruction works are still in progress, therefore the oldest hotel of Pécs will most certainly shine with the old splendour again in the next few years.(Source: vendégváró)

timecapturer, jlbrthnn, bona, wojtpod, Graal has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1391
Points: 38
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH