Photos

Photographer's Note

The Djami & The Holy Trinity Statue, Pécs

The Djami, Roman Catholic city church (Belvárosi templom)

The Turkish djami was built between 1543 and 1546 on the site of the former St Bartholomew church. After the Turkish left the Jesuits dismantled the minaret and modified the building. However, it retains Islamic elements.
The prayer niche (mihrab) of the djami can be seen in the axis of the southeast wall; its painting is a restoration. To the right and the left are the calligraphic inscriptions of the names of Allah and Mohamed. Set as they are in a Christian church the stalactite vault and the keel-arched windows evoke the typical elements of Turkish architecture in an interesting way. The holy-water fonts were formerly Islamic ritual washing basins.
The builder of the djami was Gazi Kasim, later pasha of Buda. The djami remained intact following the recapture of the town after which the Jesuits used it as their church. It was modified in 1702 and again in 1766; the entrance hall and the minaret connected to the supporting wall of the entrance hall on the right corner were dismantled. Between 1939 and 1942 the djami was freed from the walls of the previous additions and extensions. At the same time the current semicircular building to the north was added.

The Statue of the Holy Trinity

Similarly to many other countries in Europe, from time to time, serious plague epidemics were devastating Hungary over the centuries. Following the example of the Emperor Lipót I., many Hungarian towns, such as Pécs as well, erected statues to the Holy Trinity to commemorate the lucky escape from Black Death. The first memorial, the work of Henrik Anrath Pécs-based sculptor, was erected in the centre of the lower part of the main square in 1714. Another statue created by András Berchardt was erected in 1750, and it stood there for 150 years. The latter statue had strongly deteriorated by the year 1908, therefore the town elected to replace the old memorial with the work of György Kis. The agency responsible for historic monuments had the statue restored in 1970 and in 1990 as well, and this is the statue we can see standing on the square today. The base is a hexagonal structure with one relief each on three sides, completed with a curved rim at the front and with an altar stand. The second flight of stairs is a trilateral splayed module, with the three plague saints on its rim: St. Roch, St. Sebastian and St. Rosalie. The statue of the Immaculata stands on the rim, on the two sides on the back there are relief's. The third part is an obelisk covered by clouds, angels flying on top of them while the figures of the Father and the Son are sitting in front of its foot. The point of the obelisk is crowned by a Holy Spirit dove surrounded by golden rays of light.(Source: vendégváró)

Photo Information
Viewed: 1930
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH