The Metéora (Greek: "suspended in the air" or "in the heavens above") is one of the largest and most important complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries in Greece, second only to Mount Athos. The six monasteries are built on natural sandstone rock pillars, at the northwestern edge of the Plain of Thessaly.
The Theopetra caves 5 kilometres south of Meteora had inhabitants fifty millennia ago. In the 9th century, an ascetic group of hermit monks moved up to the ancient pinnacles. They were the first people to inhabit Metéora. They lived in hollows and fissures in the rock towers, some of which reach 550m above the plain. This great height, combined with the sheerness of the cliff walls, kept away all but the most determined visitors. Initially the hermits led a life of solitude, meeting only on Sundays and special days to worship and pray in a chapel built at the foot of a rock known as Dhoupiani.
The exact date of the establishment of the monasteries is unknown. By the late 11th and early 12th century, a rudimentary monastic state had formed called the Skete of Stagoi and was centered around the still-standing church of Theotokos (mother of God). By the end of the 12th century, an ascetic community had flocked to Metéora.
In 1344, Athanasios Koinovitis from Mount Athos brought a group of followers to Metéora. From 1356 to 1372, he founded the great Meteoron monastery on Broad Rock, which were perfect for the monks; they were safe from political upheaval and had complete control of the entry to the monastery. The only means of reaching it was by climbing a long ladder, which was drawn up whenever the monks felt threatened.
At the end of the 14th century, the Byzantine Empire's 800-year reign over northern Greece was being increasingly threatened by Turkish raiders who wanted control over the fertile plain of Thessaly. The hermit monks, seeking a retreat from the expanding Turkish occupation, found the inaccessible rock pillars of Meteora to be an ideal refuge. More than 20 monasteries were built, beginning in the 14th century. Six remain today. In 1517, Nectarios and Theophanes built the monastery of Varlaám, which was reputed to house the finger of St John and the shoulder blade of St Andrew. In the 1920s there was an improvement in the access to the Varlaam monastery. Steps were cut into the rock, making the complex accessible via a bridge from the nearby plateau.
Of these six monasteries that exist today, four were inhabited by men, and two by women. Each monastery has fewer than 10 inhabitants. The monastery of Holy Trinity was a filming location in the 1981 James Bond movie For Your Eyes Only.
The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron you see on the picture is the largest of the monasteries located at Metéora. It was erected in the mid-14th century AD and was the subject of restoration and embellishment projects in 1483 and 1552. The building serves as the main museum for tourists. The Katholikon (main church), consecrated in honour of the Transfiguration of Jesus was erected in the middle of 14th c. and 1387/88 and decorated in 1483 and 1552.
Scanned from slide, cropped, increased shrapness and saturation, applied Neat Image, gradual toning and retouches.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Erdem Kutukoglu (Suppiluliuma) (3889)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2004-02-00
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon 1000FN, Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4-5.6 III USM, Kodak EBX 100
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2012-11-07 5:11