Holy Monastery of Iviron (Greek: Ιερα Μονή Ιβήρων, Georgian: ივერთა მონასტერი) is an Eastern Orthodox monastery at the monastic state of Mount Athos in Greece. The monastery was built under the supervision of Ioannes the Iberian and Tornikios between 980-983 AD and housed Iberian clergy and priests.
The monastery ranks third in the hierarchy of the Athonite monasteries. The library of Iviron monastery contains 2000 manuscripts, 15 liturgical scrolls, and 20,000 books, most of which are in Georgian, Greek, Hebrew and Latin.
The name Iviron originated from the ancient Georgian Kingdom of Iberia (Iveria) where the master architect of the monastery Ioannes was from.
The monastery has the relics of more canonized saints than any other on Mount Athos. The Panagia Portaitissa, a famous 9th century icon, is also located at Iviron.
The monastery has about 30 working monks and novices.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Michael Pilitsis (Olympos) (1037)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2004-10-02
- Categories: Castles, Nature, Architecture, Ruins
- Camera: SONY Cyber-shot DSC-F717
- Exposure: f/5.6, 1/320 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2011-09-05 1:37