There is a seat free for me; I want to enjoy an iced coffee looking at the colors of the bougainvillea's and admiring the special architecture of Mani village Areopolis,
* see my another shot here
- Areopoli - (Greek: Αρεόπολη) is the second-largest town in Mani. The word areopoli means "city of Ares", the ancient Greek god of war. It is the seat of Oitylo municipality as well as Oitylo Province. However, Areopoli was not always the name of the city. Tsimova was Areopoli's first name. The Greek War of Independence was started at Areopoli on the 17th of March 1821 by Petros Mavromichalis, the bey of Mani. Now Areopoli has grown into a flourishing town. Limeni is her port.Areopoli has a primary school, a middle school, a secondary school, churches, a beach, a port and a square (plateia). The beach and port of Areopoli are some distance from the town centre. There is lively open air market in the main square each Saturday, with a lot of local producers present
Bougainvilleas are popular ornamental plants in most areas with warm climates, including Aruba, the Philippines, Thailand, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Australia, Singapore, the Mediterranean region, the Caribbean, Mexico, South Africa, Kuwait,and the United States in Arizona, California, Florida, Hawaii, Louisiana, South Carolina, and southern Texas.
Numerous cultivars and hybrids have been selected, including nearly thornless shrubs. Some Bougainvillea cultivars are sterile, and are propagated from cuttings.
Bougainvillea are rapid growing and flower all year in warm climates, especially when pinched or pruned. They grow best in moist fertile soil. Bloom cycles are typically four to six weeks. Bougainvillea grow best in very bright full sun and with frequent fertilization, but the plant requires little water to flower. As indoor houseplants in temperate regions, they can be kept small by bonsai techniques. If overwatered, Bougainvillea will not flower and may lose leaves or wilt, or even die from root decay...wikipedia
Critiques | Translate
jlbrthnn (79787) 2009-11-19 13:22
Good evening Georgios,
You speak about this village with passion, your note is interesting. I like this intimist sight of the village and this frontage which encourages to stop to have a drink and to rest. Good framing, and good clearness on the stones. The colors are very natural. A pleasant photograph of this typical place. Cheer.
lousat (58446) 2009-11-19 14:23
Hi Geo,a very very nice perspective,i like a lot this atmosphere whitout people,excellent colors,light and sharpness too.Have a nice day and thanks for share,Luciano
Dashab (2562) 2009-11-19 23:43
Good morning, Georgios,
First, thank you for the infomrative note: finally I have the answer for the poor life and subsequent death of my indoor bougenvillia - I drowned it!
I like the composition of your picture and the textures of the stonework on the houses.
TFS and have a nice weekend,
bracasha75 (24443) 2009-11-19 23:51
The stony architecture is very present all over in South Europe and very beautiful street scene!!!!
bema (25964) 2009-11-20 2:12
beautiful scenery, captured and composed in a very fine picture..
like such alleys a lot.
have a fine day, filika Bernd
Budapestman (82620) 2009-11-20 3:36
a beautiful treet photo with attractive composition and nice details, the mood of the photo is nostalgic, the POV is superb. Tfs! Have a nice day!
Longroute (19390) 2009-11-20 6:46
Really the architecture in Mani is different than the rest of Greece... I heard that because of frequent conflicts in the past they had to build their homes like fortresses. This looks a lovely corner of this town, with a fine perspective and pleasant textures of the stone walls.
Have a nice day,
COSTANTINO (42760) 2009-11-21 0:25
Omorfi Arxitektoniki prooptiki ,
me katapliktika xaraktiristika stoixeia topihs arxitektonikis kai thn bokambilia na stolizei thn grafiki goniatou kafe bar,
jaywalker (16061) 2009-12-19 12:09
Hi Georgios, A wonderful photo with a very quiet look, the gorgeous pink of the flowers catch the eye beautifully & your angle of attack was excellent, TFS, kind regards Wilson.
- Copyright: Georgios Topas (TopGeo) (38000)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2009-09-09
- Categories: Daily Life, Transportation, Architecture
- Camera: Canon EOS 400D Rebel XTi, Canon 18-55 mm EF-S, Polarizer Hoya 62 mm
- Exposure: f/7.1, 1/60 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2009-11-19 12:50