This is the famous Lighthouse of Alexandroupoli, situated in the main square of the city!
Alexandroupoli (Greek: Αλεξανδρούπολη, is a city in Greece and the capital of the Evros regional unit in Thrace. It is an important port and commercial center of northeastern Greece.
The city was founded as Dedeagach (Turkish: Dedeağaš, Bulgarian: Дедеагач, Greek: Δεδεαγάτς). According to the legend, the name was based on a wise old man or dede who spent much of his time in the shade of a local tree (in Turkish ağaš) and was eventually buried beside it. Dedeagach remained the official name of the city until 1920 when it was renamed Alexandroupoli in honour of King Alexander of Greece.
Alexandroupoli is about 14.5 km (9.0 mi) west of the delta of the river Evros, 40 km from the border with Turkey, 346 km (215 mi) from Thessaloniki on the newly constructed Egnatia highway, and 750 km (470 mi) from Athens.
At the 2001 census, the main city had a population of 48,885 and the municipal unit had a population of 52,720. The current metropolitan population is estimated at around 70,000 inhabitants, and its area covers the southern portion of the regional unit, running from the Rhodope regional unit to the Evros Delta.
Thank you for visiting!
Critiques | Translate
elenimavrandoni (14241) 2014-03-11 20:08
Χρήστο, δεν εχω πάει ποτέ στην Αλεξανδρούπολη αλλά ο πατέρας μου πάντα μου διηγόταν για το φάρο γιατι ειχε πάει και ηξερε..
πολυ χαρακτηριστική η φωτογραφία σου με πολύ ενδιαφέρουσα σημείωση και ομορφη παρουσίαση!!
σ' ευχαριστω για τα καλά σου λόγια!