Pylos, historically known under its Italian name Navarino, which in turn originates from the Turkic Avars, is a town and a former municipality in Messenia, Peloponnese, Greece.
It was the capital of the former Pylia Province.
It is the main harbour on the Bay of Navarino.
Nearby villages include Gialova, Pyla, Elaiofyto, Schinolakka, and Palaionero.
The town of Pylos has 2,767 inhabitants, the municipal unit of Pylos 5,287 (2011).
Pylos' bay is formed by a deep indenture in the Morea, shut in by a long island, anciently called Sphacteria or Sphagia (modern name Sfaktiria).
This island has been divided into three or four separate sections by the violence of the waves, and boats could pass from the open sea into the port, in calm weather, using the channels so formed.
The bay of Pylos was the site of two important naval battles:
The Battle of Pylos, in 425 BC during the Peloponnesian War
The Battle of Navarino, in 1827 during the Greek War of Independence.
In the background, is visible the island of Sfaktiria!
Thank you for visiting!
Nobody has marked this note useful