Katakolo (Greek: Κατάκολο) is a seaside town in the municipality of Pyrgos in western Ilia (or Elia), Greece.
It is situated on a headland overlooking the Ionian Sea and separating the Gulf of Kyparissia from the rest of the Ionian.
It is 11 km west of downtown Pyrgos.
The small village of Agios Andreas lies northwest of Katakolo.
A railway connects Katakolo with Pyrgos and Olympia, but along with the rest of the rail network in the Peloponnese, services have been suspended since 2011 for economic reasons.
The port of Katakolo is a popular stop for cruise ships, offering an opportunity for passengers to visit the site of Ancient Olympia.
Low hills with forests surround Katakolo.
The lighthouse of Katakolo was built in 1865.
One of the most important sites of Katakolo is the Museum of Ancient Greek Technology.
The remains of the medieval Pontikokastro/Beauvoir castle still stand on a hilltop northeast of the modern port, but the castle is mostly ruined and its original appearance can only be surmised.
Thank you for visiting!
Nobody has marked this note useful