Photos

Photographer's Note

Thessaloniki view


Bey Hamam, alternatively known as the "Baths of Paradise", is a Turkish bathhouse located along Egnatia Street in Thessaloniki, east of Panagia Chalkeon.
History

Built in 1444 by sultan Murad II, it was the first Ottoman bath in Thessaloniki and the most important one still standing throughout Greece. For this reason, it is a part of those few important vestiges of Ottoman culture remaining in Thessaloniki and Greece in general.
It is a double bath, with two separate parts for men and women. The male quarters are the most spacious and luxurious, but each one follows the same tripartite plan - a succession of three parts, the cold, tepid, and hot rooms. A large rectangular cistern flanks the baths to the east and guarantees their water supply.
The baths for the men include a large octagonal cold room, with a gallery resting on columns, arcades surrounding their windows, and a painted cupola. It is followed, in south-east, by the tepid room, also octagonal, equipped with a cupola with occuli and with a rich series of painted depictions of plants. Further to the east lies the complex of hot rooms, ordered around a large cruciform room, wherein the massage table might always be found, standing, now as ever, in its centre. Eight small hot and tepid rooms open on this space and are equipped with basins and marble benches.
The baths remained in usage, under the name "Baths of Paradise", up until 1968, where they were leased to the Greek archaeological service for four years. After the earthquake of 1978, which shook Thessaloniki especially hard, the baths were restored, and are used to this day for cultural events and short-lived exhibitions. Meanwhile, the eastern annex became the principal shop of the Foundation of Archaeological Receipts of the Hellenic Republic Ministry of Culture.
Το Μπέη Χαμάμ είναι κτήριο της Οθωμανικής περιόδου στην Θεσσαλονίκη και βρίσκεται επί της οδού Εγνατία περίπου στο ύψος της οδού Αριστοτέλους. Χτίστηκε το 1444, 14 χρόνια μετά την κατάληψη της Θεσσαλονίκης από τον Μουράτ Β΄, πάνω σε απομεινάρια βυζαντινών εκκλησιών. Λειτούργησε ως χαμάμ μέχρι τη δεκαετία του 1960 και αναστηλώθηκε τη δεκαετία του 80. Είναι επίσης γνωστό με το όνομα Λουτρά Παράδεισος. Σήμερα λειτουργεί ως χώρος πολιτιστικών εκδηλώσεων

carlo62, papagolf21, krzychu30, cornejo, macjake, macjake, ikeharel, photoray has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Costantino Topas (COSTANTINO) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 4606 W: 22 N: 7095] (53577)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2013-11-30
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/7.1, 1/80 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2013-12-12 23:06
Viewed: 864
Points: 22
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Costantino Topas (COSTANTINO) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 4606 W: 22 N: 7095] (53577)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH