Mount Olympus (Greek: Όλυμπος ; also transliterated as Olympos, and on Greek maps, Oros Olympos) is the highest mountain in Greece, located on the border between Thessaly and Macedonia, about 100 kilometres (62 mi) away from Thessaloniki, Greece's second largest city. Mount Olympus has 52 peaks. The highest peak Mytikas, meaning "nose", rises to 2,917 metres (9,570 ft). It is one of the highest peaks in Europe in terms of topographic prominence.
Mount Olympus is noted for its very rich flora with several species. It is a National Park of Greece and a World's Biosphere Reserve.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Michael Pilitsis (Olympos) (1037)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2010-12-26
- Categories: Nature
- Camera: Canon EOS 40D, Canon 24-70 2.8L USM
- Exposure: f/5.0, 1/25 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2011-09-06 9:04