Kamares (the old aqueduct), constructed in the Roman/Byzantine period, underwent extensive repairs during the Ottoman rule, particularly during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent and Legislator (c. 1530 AD). This double arch structure was designed to bridge the peninsula of Panagia with the foot of the mountain of Lekani. It was used to carry water from mountain sources ((6 km (4 miles)) north from the "Mother of Water", Soumpasi, or The Three Elms) in today's "Old Town" – Panagia, with the main water source situated at an altitude of 400 m and other lower sources of supply. 280 metres (920 ft) long and with a maximum height of 25 metres (82 ft), this grand monument consists of 60 arches of four different sizes. The most recent restoration work began in September 1997 with a mild technical assistance[clarification needed] Source: «Medieval Aqueduct of Kavala – Arcs», Publication of 12th Service of Byzantine and Ancient Antiquities, Kavala, 2008
Critiques | Translate
photoray (13232) 2014-08-20 11:43
A very impressive double deck aqueduct kept in fine condition for centuries, an obvious engineering masterpiece. And nicely composed, with arches curving across the horizontal.
Giustiniani (3538) 2014-08-20 15:02
une belle composition avec une lumière qui donne un beau relief et qui met la pierre en valeur. Amicalement,
Periko (3373) 2014-08-20 19:00
Este acueducto rivaliza con el de Segovia!