Photos

Photographer's Note

Another view over the Roman Agora of Athens, to the north-west. Across the ancient site stands the Fethiye Mosque, a building with a long and interesting history. In the distance, through the gap between the cypress and the pine tree, we see the hill of Lycabettus with the chapel of St George at its top.

The broken pillars in the foreground as well as the old mosque, remind me of local elders sitting at the sides of streets watching yet another group of people passing by:)

Some information of the Fethiye Mosque from Wikipedia:

The Fethiye Mosque is located on the northern side of the ancient Roman Agora in Athens, near the Tower of the Winds, and was built on the ruins of a Christian basilica from the middle Byzantine period (8th/9th centuries). The Christian church was converted into a mosque in 1456/58, soon after the Ottoman conquest of the Duchy of Athens, to coincide with the visit to the city by Sultan Mehmed the Conqueror in 1458.

[....] During the brief occupation of the city by the Venetian forces in the Morean War (October 1687 – May 1688), the mosque was converted by the Venetians into a Catholic church, dedicated to Dionysius the Areopagite.

In 1824 the disused mosque was used as a school [...]
From 1834, after Greek independence, and until the early 20th century, it was used successively as a barracks, a military prison and finally as a military bakery, at which point additions were made to the building to house the bakery's kilns. From the early 20th century it is used mostly as a storage place for various finds from the excavations in the Agora and the Acropolis of Athens.

Except for the removal of recent additions and the restoration to its original shape in 1935, the mosque has never undergone a complete restoration, and by 2010 had developed serious structural problems. In autumn 2010, the Greek Ministry of Culture ordered the emptying of the building from the various antiquities stored there, and the beginning of the process to restore it and open it to the public. The decision was sanctioned by Greece's Central Archaeological Council in 2013, paving the way for its restoration and its opening to the public as a space for cultural events.

Thank you for visiting

dip, jhm, ikeharel, holmertz, pajaran, Cricri has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 537
Points: 32
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Ourania Karali (ourania) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 2817 W: 5 N: 5577] (27344)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH