The Zappeion (Greek: Ζάππειον Μέγαρον, Záppeion Mégaron) is a building in the National Gardens of Athens in the heart of Athens, Greece. It is generally used for meetings and ceremonies, both official and private.
In 1869, the Greek Parliament allocated 80,000 square metres (860,000 sq ft) of public land between the Palace Gardens and the ancient Temple of Olympian Zeus, and also passed a law on 30 November 1869, "for the building works of the Olympic Games", as the Zappeion was the first building to be erected specifically for the revival of the Olympic Games in the modern world. Following some delay, on 20 January 1874, the cornerstone of the building was laid. This new building would be designed by Danish architect Theophil Hansen. Finally, on 20 October 1888, the Zappeion opened. Unfortunately for its benefactor, Evangelis Zappas, he did not live long enough to see the Zappeion built, and his cousin Konstantinos Zappas was nominated by Evangelos Zappas to complete the building.
The Zappeion was used during the 1896 Summer Olympics as the main fencing hall. A decade later, at the 1906 Intercalated Games, it was used as the Olympic Village.
It served as the first host for the organizing committee (ATHOC) for the 2004 Games from 1998 to 1999 and served as the press center during the 2004 games.
A number of historical events have taken place at the Zappeion, including the signing of the documents formalizing Greece's accession to the European Community in May, 1979, which took place in the building's marble-clad, peristyle main atrium.
Thanks for visiting!
Critiques | Translate
elenimavrandoni (9965) 2013-08-27 9:37
Χρήστο, ενα μνημείο που προκαλεί δέος και θαυμασμό σε μάς πού ξέρουμε τήν Ιστορία του πού με τόσο όμορφο τρόπο παρουσιάζεις μέσα απο την σημείωση σου! Μοναδικό χρώμα και εξαιρετικό παιχνίδι το φως με τίς σκιές. Δίνει αίγλη και βάθος στην εικόνα σου πού είναι καθ' όλα πανέμορφη!