Photos

Photographer's Note

Bad Tölz sits on the Isar River, 670 metres above sea level.

Bad Tölz is known for its spas, historic medieval town, and spectacular views of the Alps. On the western bank of the Isar River lies the Kurverwaltung, or modern spa, whose iodine-rich waters are known for their soothing and healing powers. A major attraction is the Alpamare, Europe's first indoor water park with long water slides, wave pool, a surf wave, and a range of thermal outdoor pools with iodine water. Another major attraction is Stadtpfarrkirche, a church built in 1466, which is an excellent example of German late–Gothic architecture.



The name "Tölz" (as "Tolnze") appears relatively late in documentation at the end of the 12th century. The name "Reginried" appears as that of a settlement belonging to the monastery at Tegernsee in earlier texts, which is probably the same as Reid in the western part of Mühlfeld.

Hainricus de Tolnze built a castle on the site, which controlled the river and road traffic in the region, but which no longer exists. In 1331 Louis IV made Tölz a market town.


The 14th century saw Tölz become a crossroads for the salt and lumber traffic on the Isar. In 1453 the market street, church, and castle were destroyed by fire. Duke Albrecht III enabled the city to rebuild, but this time in stone. He also built a palace which stood until 1770 when it fell into disrepair, and was eventually undermined by the Ellbach.

The Thirty Years' War (1618–1648) brought plague and destruction to the region. During the War of the Spanish Succession things began to turn around again, with trade in lime and wood products, among other items. During this war, in 1705, the vintner Johann Jäger of Tölz led a band of farmers to battle at Sendling (south of Munich).

In the middle of the 19th century, Tölz changed directions with the discovery of natural springs. The town began to focus on the healing properties of these spring, and became a cure and spa town. In 1899 it became known as Bad Tölz. The town is also known as a pilgrimage site; on November 6 there is a festival to Saint Leonard of Noblac. In 1718 a chapel was built in his honor on the Calvary hill.

fds, Romano46, ikeharel, papagolf21, cornejo, PaulVDV, jhm has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 758
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by ALESSANDRO MACCHI (SWEETFREEDOM) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 1493 W: 0 N: 2889] (22478)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH