Photos

Photographer's Note

On my former picture you can see the Elector's Rococo palace in Trier and here the Elector's Classical palace in Koblenz. The palace (Residenzschloss), with one front looking towards the Rhine, the other into the Neustadt, was built in 1778-1786 by Clement Wenceslaus, the last elector of Trier, under design by the French architect P.M. d'Ixnard; among other curiosities, it contains some fine Gobelin tapestries.

But what was the Elector's position in the imperial Germany and how did he come from Trier to Koblenz? The Electorate of Trier (or Kurtrier) was an ecclesiastical principality of the Holy Roman Empire and existed from the end of the 9th to the early 19th century. (Do not forget: the Holy Roman Empire was in fact a conglomeration of countries in the Middle Ages and the early modern period. Another famous ecclesialistical principality was Salzburg which became part of Austria only in 1816 - but in contrast to his western colleague the Prince Archbishop of Salzburg was never member of the board entitled to elect the Emperor.) It was ruled by the Archbishop in his function as prince-elector of the empire. The capital of the electorate was Trier, in the 18th century, from 1690 till 1801, its main residence was Koblenz (or Coblence). The electorate was secularized in 1803 during the German Mediatisation.
While keeping in mind the three buildings on this and the former picture pay attention to the dates: Constantine's magnificient basilica was built less than 100 years before the fall of the (ancient) Roman Empire, the Elector's Rococo palace of Trier was finished shortly (40 years) before the real residence was moved to Koblenz, the Classical palace served as originally planned only for a few (15) years.

Please click on the map function (and then zoom in) to get a satellite photo with marker pointing onto the palace.

buscape, asajernigan, danos, gracious, BWJ, Clementi, Buin, paololg, Charo has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 4419
Points: 22
Discussions
Additional Photos by Laszlo Koenig (Jakab) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 451 W: 221 N: 1282] (3867)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH