Photographer's Note

A view of the entrance to the grounds of Schloss Montabaur, which today is run as a 4-star conference hotel and schooling centre for the Raiffeisenbanken and credit unions and is owned by the Akademie Deutscher Genossenschaften (“Academy of German Cooperatives”).

Montabaur castle in brief:

Montabaur castle was mentioned as a centre for the archbishops and prince-electors of Trier. Town and castle were called “Humbach”.

1280 – 1290
After a reconciliation, Archbishop Dietrich II. delegated the administration and defence of the castle to Count Heinrich von Nassau.

1687 – 1709
During the reign of Archbishop Hugo von Orsbeck (1676-1711) there were far-reaching constructional alterations, accomplished by the court’s architects of Trier Johann Chr. Sebastiani and J. Honorius Ravensteyn.

Transferred to the duchy of Nassau. It was used as a shooting-lodge.

1851 – 1945
Headquarters of the teachers-college.

1945 – 1968
Headquarters of the district magistrate’s office of the lower Westerwald area.

1946 - 1968
Headquarters of the “district administration” Montabaur

On the occasion of its 75th anniversary as the cooperatives central bank, the Deutsche Genossenschaftskasse - today the DZ-Bank Frankfurt - handed the purchased castle into its assigned purpose.

In 1981 the Academy of German cooperatives e.V. purchased Montabaur castle.


The picture was originally captured on slide film. It has been digitised and 'cleaned-up' in Photoshop CS2.

sandpiper, jlbrthnn, delpeoples, subhendu_bagchi, saxo042, Charo, csabagaba has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1538
Points: 34
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 7170 W: 63 N: 20356] (92460)
View More Pictures