In 1886, during the construction of his castle at Herrenchiemsee, King Ludwig II died in mysterious circumstances. His successor, Prince Regent Luitpold, completed the building work and opened the castle to the public.
This decision laid the foundations for the first wave of tourists to visit Chiemsee. Bavaria was still a kingdom at this point, and the opportunity to visit a king’s castle proved extremely popular. Visitors arrived in droves at the station in Prien, but then had to travel the last 2 km to the harbour by horse-drawn carriage. There was traffic chaos in Prien for the first time.
In the same year, Ludwig Feßler and councillor of commerce Georg Krauss from Munich put forward plans to build a narrow-gauge railway linking the station with the harbour. The project moved swiftly through its planning and building phases, and on Sunday 10 July 1887 the Chiemsee railway opened for business. It still connects the station in the centre of Prien to the Chiemsee- Schiffahrt harbour in Stock to this day.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Giuseppe Maria Galasso (gmg) (4202)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Black & White
- Date Taken: 2011-04-10
- Categories: Transportation
- Camera: Pentax K100D, Sigma 18-50m F/3.5-5.6 DC, Secure Digital Card
- Exposure: f/8, 1/80 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2011-05-07 14:32