The pilgrimage church of Wies (German: Wieskirche) is an oval rococo church, designed in the late 1740s by Dominikus Zimmermann. It is located at the base of the Alps in the Steingaden municipality of the Weilheim-Schongau district, Bavaria, Germany. In 1738 tears were seen on a dilapidated wooden figure of the Scourged Saviour. This miracle resulted in a pilgrimage rush to see the sculpture. In 1740 a small chapel was built to house the statue. The Wieskirche was added to the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1983 and underwent massive restoration in 1985-91.
The photo was taken on a crisp and clear winter's morning.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Alex O'Connor (Ardnajela) (12)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2006-12-20
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ7
- Exposure: f/8, 1/1300 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2009-08-30 0:02