From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nuremberg is a city in the German state of Bavaria, in the administrative region of Middle Franconia. Situated on the Pegnitz river and the Rhine–Main–Danube Canal, it is located about 170 kilometres (110 mi) north of Munich and is Franconia's largest city. The population as of December, 2011, is 510,602. The "European Metropolitan Area Nuremberg" has 3.5 million inhabitants, which makes it Germany's fourteenth largest city.
Nuremberg was probably founded around the turn of the 11th century, according to the first documentary mention of the city in 1050, as the location of an Imperial castle between the East Franks and the Bavarian March of the Nordgau. From 1050 to 1571, the city expanded and rose dramatically in importance due to its location on key trade routes. King Conrad III established a burgraviate, with the first burgraves coming from the Austrian House of Raab but, with the extinction of their male line around 1190, the burgraviate was inherited by the last count's son-in-law, of the House of Hohenzollern. From the late 12th century to the Interregnum (1254–73), however, the power of the burgraves diminished as the Hohenstaufen emperors transferred most non-military powers to a castellan, with the city administration and the municipal courts handed over to an Imperial mayor (German: Reichsschultheiß) from 1173/74. The strained relations between the burgraves and the castellan, with gradual transferral of powers to the latter in the late-14th and early-15th centuries, finally broke out into open enmity, which greatly influenced the history of the city.
Nuremberg is often referred to as having been the 'unofficial capital' of the Holy Roman Empire, particularly because Reichstage (Imperial Diets) and courts met at Nuremberg Castle. The Diets of Nuremberg were an important part of the administrative structure of the empire. The increasing demand of the royal court and the increasing importance of the city attracted increased trade and commerce to Nuremberg. In 1219, Frederick II granted the Großen Freiheitsbrief (Great Letter of Freedom), including town rights, Reichsfreiheit (or Imperial immediacy), the privilege to mint coins and an independent customs policy, almost wholly removing the city from the purview of the burgraves. Nuremberg soon became, with Augsburg, one of the two great trade centers on the route from Italy to Northern Europe. In 1298, the Jews of the town were accused of having desecrated the host and 698 were slain in one of the many Rintfleisch Massacres. Behind the massacre in 1298 was also the desire to combine the northern and southern parts of the city, which were divided by the Pegnitz river. The Jews of the German lands suffered many massacres during the plague years. In 1349 Nuremberg's Jews were subjected to a pogrom. The plague was also present in 1405, 1435, 1437, 1482, 1494, 1520 and 1534.
The largest gains for Nuremberg were in the 14th century; including Charles IV's Golden Bull of 1356, naming Nuremberg as the city where newly-elected kings of Germany must hold their first Reichstag, making Nuremberg one of the three most important cities of the Empire. Charles was the patron of the Frauenkirche, built between 1352 and 1362 (the architect was likely Peter Parler), where the Imperial court worshipped during its stays in Nuremberg. The royal and Imperial connection was strengthened when Sigismund of Luxembourg granted the Imperial regalia to be kept permanently in Nuremberg in 1423, where they remained until 1796, when the advancing French troops required their removal to Regensburg and thence to Vienna.
In 1349 the members of the guilds unsuccessfully rebelled against the patricians in the Handwerkeraufstand (Craftsmen's Uprising), supported by merchants and some councillors, leading to a ban on any self-organisation of the artisans in the city, abolishing the guilds that were customary elsewhere in Europe; the unions were then dissolved, and the oligarchs remained in power while Nuremberg was a free city. Charles IV conferred upon the city the right to conclude alliances independently, thereby placing it upon a politically equal footing with the princes of the empire. Frequent fights took place with the burgraves without, however, inflicting lasting damage upon the city. After the castle had been destroyed by fire in 1420 during a feud between Frederick IV (since 1417 margrave of Brandenburg) and the duke of Bavaria-Ingolstadt, the ruins and the forest belonging to the castle were purchased by the city (1427), resulting in the city's total sovereignty within its borders. Through these and other acquisitions the city accumulated considerable territory. The Hussite Wars, recurrence of the Black Death in 1437, and the First Margrave War led to a severe fall in population in the mid-15th century. At the beginning of the 16th century, siding with Albert IV, Duke of Bavaria-Munich, in the Landshut War of Succession led the city to gain substantial territory, resulting in lands of 25 sq mi (64.7 km2), becoming one of the largest Imperial cities
The cultural flowering of Nuremberg, in the 15th and 16th centuries, made it the centre of the German Renaissance. In 1525, Nuremberg accepted the Protestant Reformation, and in 1532, the religious Peace of Nuremberg, by which the Lutherans gained important concessions, was signed there. During the 1552 revolution against Charles V, Nuremberg tried to purchase its neutrality, but the city was attacked without a declaration of war and was forced into a disadvantageous peace. At the Peace of Augsburg, the possessions of the Protestants were confirmed by the Emperor, their religious privileges extended and their independence from the Bishop of Bamberg affirmed, while the 1520s' secularisation of the monasteries was also approved.
The state of affairs in the early 16th century, increased trade routes elsewhere and the ossification of the social hierarchy and legal structures contributed to the decline in trade. Frequent quartering of Imperial, Swedish and League soldiers, the financial costs of the war and the cessation of trade caused irreparable damage to the city and a near-halving of the population. In 1632, the city, occupied by the forces of Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, was besieged by the army of Imperial general Albrecht von Wallenstein. The city declined after the war and recovered its importance only in the 19th century, when it grew as an industrial centre. Even after the Thirty Years' War, however, there was a late flowering of architecture and culture – secular Baroque architecture is exemplified in the layout of the civic gardens built outside the city walls, and in the Protestant city's rebuilding of the Egidienkirche, destroyed by fire at the beginning of the 18th century, considered a significant contribution to the baroque church architecture of Middle Franconia.
After the Thirty Years' War, Nuremberg attempted to remain detached from external affairs, but contributions were demanded for the War of the Austrian Succession and the Seven Years' War and restrictions of imports and exports deprived the city of many markets for its manufactures. The Bavarian elector, Charles Theodore, appropriated part of the land obtained by the city during the Landshut War of Succession, to which Bavaria had maintained its claim; Prussia also claimed part of the territory. Realising its weakness, the city asked to be incorporated into Prussia but Frederick William II refused, fearing to offend Austria, Russia and France. At the Imperial diet in 1803, the independence of Nuremberg was affirmed, but on the signing of the Confederation of the Rhine on 12 July 1806, it was agreed to hand the city over to Bavaria from 8 September, with Bavaria guaranteeing the amortisation of the city's 12.5 million guilder public debt.
After the fall of Napoleon, the city's trade and commerce revived; the skill of its inhabitants together with its favourable situation soon made the city prosperous, particularly after its public debt had been acknowledged as a part of the Bavarian national debt. Having been incorporated into a Catholic country, the city was compelled to refrain from further discrimination against Catholics, who had been excluded from the rights of citizenship. Catholic services had been celebrated in the city by the priests of the Teutonic Order, often under great difficulties. After their possessions had been confiscated by the Bavarian government in 1806, they were given the Frauenkirche on the Market in 1809; in 1810 the first Catholic parish was established, which in 1818 numbered 1010 souls.
In 1817, the city was incorporated into the district of Rezatkreis (named for the Franconian Rezat river), which was renamed to Middle Franconia (German: Mittelfranken) on 1 January 1838. The first German railway, the Bavarian Ludwigsbahn, from Nuremberg to nearby Fürth, was opened in 1835. The establishment of railways and the incorporation of Bavaria into Zollverein (the 19th century German Customs Union), commerce and industry opened the way to greater prosperity. In 1852, there were 53,638 inhabitants: 46,441 Protestants and 6616 Catholics. It subsequently grew to become the most important industrial city of Bavaria and one of the most prosperous towns of southern Germany. In 1905, its population, including several incorporated suburbs, was 291,351: 86,943 Catholics, 196,913 Protestants, 3738 Jews and 3766 members of other creeds.
Nuremberg held great significance during the Nazi Germany era. Because of the city's relevance to the Holy Roman Empire and its position in the centre of Germany, the Nazi Party chose the city to be the site of huge Nazi Party conventions – the Nuremberg rallies. The rallies were held 1927, 1929 and annually 1933-1938 in Nuremberg. After Adolf Hitler's rise to power in 1933 the Nuremberg rallies became huge Nazi propaganda events, a centre of Nazi ideals. The 1934 rally was filmed by Leni Riefenstahl, and made into a propaganda film called Triumph des Willens (Triumph of the Will). At the 1935 rally, Hitler specifically ordered the Reichstag to convene at Nuremberg to pass the anti-Semitic Nuremberg Laws which revoked German citizenship for all Jews. A number of premises were constructed solely for these assemblies, some of which were not finished. Today many examples of Nazi architecture can still be seen in the city. The city was also the home of the Nazi propagandist Julius Streicher, the publisher of Der Stürmer.
During World War II, Nuremberg was the headquarters of Wehrkreis (military district) XIII, and an important site for military production, including aircraft, submarines, and tank engines. A subcamp of Flossenbürg concentration camp was located here. Extensive use was made of slave labour. The city was severely damaged in Allied strategic bombing from 1943–45. On 2 January 1945, the medieval city centre was systematically bombed by the Royal Air Force and the U.S. Army Air Forces and about ninety percent of it was destroyed in only one hour, with 1,800 residents killed and roughly 100,000 displaced. In February 1945, additional attacks followed. In total, about 6,000 Nuremberg residents are estimated[by whom?] to have been killed in air raids.
Nuremberg was a heavily fortified city that was captured in a fierce battle lasting from 17 to 21 April 1945 by the US 3rd Infantry Division, 42nd Infantry Division, and 45th Infantry Division, which fought house-to-house and block-by-block against determined German resistance, causing further urban devastation to the already bombed and shelled buildings. Despite this intense degree of destruction, the city was rebuilt after the war and was to some extent, restored to its pre-war appearance including the reconstruction of some of its medieval buildings. However, the biggest part of the historic structural condition of the old Imperial Free City was lost forever.
Critiques | Translate
Kamilutka (8095) 2013-01-11 8:59
this cityscape is exeptionally pretty. Good depth and nicely contrasting colors of the building. Plenty of colorful details at the bottom liven up the image and nicely blurred background exposes the architecture.
I like it a lot!
tyro (18556) 2013-01-11 9:17
Ciao caro Silvio,
Wow! What a wonderful and comprehensive note you have written about this place! And a very fine picture by way of illustration too.
You have "shortened" the perspective well with the use of a "long" lens and compressed a lot of interesting architecture into the frame. Crowds of people fill the left foreground but we can see wonderful details of the other buildings here from different eras - a church/cathedral, two towers and a more modern building too.
Lovely colours and soft subdued light, perfect exposure and exquisite details and sharpness.
P.S. Have a Wonderful 2013!
COSTANTINO (51208) 2013-01-11 9:36
Bella composizione Arcitettonica,
ottimo POV,interesante nota ,
cari saluti,buon weekend,
eldancer1 (25085) 2013-01-11 9:49
Beautiful architecture! The vertical format worked well with the composition. Nicely captured with good lighting and dof with sharp details. Wonderful colors. Well done, tfs.
maria-v1981 (10773) 2013-01-11 10:46
Excellent architecture photo, perfect choice of the vertical framing. Wonderful perspective, great composition and fantastic colours. Congratulations.
Have a nice weekend,
lousat (72137) 2013-01-11 11:19
Ciao Silvio,bello il pov dall'alto e la vista,molto ricca di vita,dettagli e colori,il cielo pero' non mi convince,troppo pannoso,forse sostituito,lo stacco coi tetti e' estremamente granuloso.Buona serata,Luciano
tedesse (25045) 2013-01-11 11:34
A beautiful postcard from Nuremberg.
Ineresuj±cy POV, very good composition, beautiful towers, wonderful colors and good sharpness. Good shot, congratulations.
Have a nice weekend
elenimavrandoni (14231) 2013-01-11 12:12
Ciao Silvio, sto viaggiando con te da Italia a Germania, in modo da poter ammirare uno dei tuoi più belle foto! Ottima vista panoramica da un angolo suggestivo per visualizzare la profondità e la prospettiva!
Architettura tipica stravaganza riempie gli occhi e colori tenui per completare una immagine molto interessante. Godetevi il tuo viaggio, saluti e auguri forti,
jjcordier (73182) 2013-01-11 13:56
Tu as trouvé un très bon POV pour réaliser cette excellente photo de Nüremberg. On peut admirer les principaux monuments et la célèbre fontaine ainsi que l'animation du marché de Noël. Une très belle réalisation.
carlo62 (27474) 2013-01-11 14:10
che bello l'effetto del tele sui palazzi e quante architetture e quanta storia.
Bella foto, mi piace.
npecanhuk (60794) 2013-01-11 15:35
Wonderful architectural details!
Special regards to the chosen pov, colors, vertical format, slim black borders and composition!
TFS - congrats,
emka (73093) 2013-01-11 23:35
Ciao Silvio, excellent presentation of Nurnberg. I like all the spires, striped roofs, busy people visiting the market. You found splendid POV. Well done.
JFS (32459) 2013-01-12 1:10
Fantastica perspectiva, una fiera d'architectura! Mi piace tanto, grazie Silvio!
Buon fine settimana
ourania (26236) 2013-01-13 3:13
una vista molto ricca ed interessante. Il punto di vista dal alto e' suberbo ed offre un aspetto della citta' molto interessante con l' architettura suggestiva, lo sfondo del cielo drammatico e l' atmosfera festiva nella piazza. Mi piace molto come hai messo tutto in ordine in una composizione elegante, con ottima profondita' chiarezza e gestione della luce dificile. Complimenti e grazie!
Tanti saluti e buona giornata,
delpeoples (52443) 2013-01-13 13:11
Questa foto ha totalmente distrutto la mia idea di Norimbergo. Ho pensato che Norimbergo era bruttisimo, senza carattera, e grigio. La tua foto ha fatto grande pubblicitá per la cittá. Non avrei mai pensato di andarci, e adesso, voglio! Bellissimo il taglio verticale che complimenta gli edifici stretti. I colori, le tessiture sono una gioia di vedere. Complimenti, e passa una bella serata.
aliabazari (11448) 2013-01-14 11:48
La vista è molto bella. Esposizione e profondità di colore e ben eseguita. I love it. Molto bene.