On a mountain ridge above the Kocher valley lies Großcomburg. In 1078 Count Burkhard of Rothenburg-Comburg donated his castle and turned it over to the Benedictine Order. In the 12th century the monastery experienced a heyday and the monastery was given a new appearance. The hexagonal chapel, the cloister and the chapter hall originate from this time. At the end of the 15th century it was converted into an aristocratic Convent of Canons. During the redesign that followed, Großcomburg took on a well-fortified character again, as it was secured with a circular wall, battlements, towers and roundels.
Nobody has marked this note useful