Photos

Photographer's Note

Arkona - a rocky headland on the extreme northern part of the island of Rügen (Mecklenburg-Vorpommern).

In the early Middle Ages, fortified central West - Slavic tribe Rana, the difficult to reach a narrow peninsula of Wittow. It was surrounded on three sides by a cliff with a height of 45 meters falling into the sea, and from the land originally an earth embankment and a moat, then around the year 1000 was expanded and built a wall of wood and earth with a height of almost 10 meters and a length in a straight line over 250 meters. In addition, the strengthening of the Baltic Sea were 4.5 meters wide.

Arkona was a famous center of worship of the pagan god Svantevit. According to Saxo Grammaticus, the temple ¦więtowit has guarded the crew numbering 300 warriors, reporting to the high priest. The temple was a statue and treasury Svantevit, which is actually treasury the state of Rana tribe. After looting (1067/1068) and then destroyed (1125) of Radogoszcz, Arkona has become the most important place of worship Baltic Slavs.

In 1136, the king of Denmark Eric II Memorable, forced the defenders to surrender, by addressing coastal water sources, however, quickly Ranas regained independence, and the inhabitants of the castle built inside the water tank to guard against similar accidents.

Was conquered and destroyed June 12, 1168 by the Danish king Waldemar I. This event preceded the forced Christianization of the people of this region.

But the inhabitants of the island for a long time kept the real, though informal independence. For a long time the island was the seat of dangerous pirates marauding on the Baltic Sea. Even at a time when Rügen was a part of the Duchy of Pomerania, the rulers were content with only a symbolic tribute. Actually ruled the island Council of Elders. When Bishop of Kamien inquisitors wanted to send here, proud and independent people, just their crucified. Prince Boguslaw X need brave soldiers of Rügen, refused to request the bishop, moreover German, to pacify the island.

Today, the biggest attraction at Cape Arkona is a Slavic settlement, the site was once a mighty city. The speakers of this place once god Svantevit like him. a giant wooden statue. In addition to settlement are two lighthouses (smaller, built by the famous German architect Schinkel, currently inoperative and more (here in the depths of photos) - built in the early twentieth century, serves to this day as a point of navigation.

This is a scan from negative.

ikeharel, Sonata11 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1296
Points: 8
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Jozef Zbigniew Napora (raszid62) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1805 W: 41 N: 3315] (18583)
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
    #
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
    #
  • Primorsko-Goranska photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH