Photos

Photographer's Note

April 17, 2009
Saint-Clément-des-Baleines 170318 17590
Charente-Maritime Poitou-Charentes
46.233 -1.550 5 m

Two in one, lighthouse perspective. Tower and lighthouse of the Wales, Ré island.

One sight.
Other sight.

Tower of the Whales, 17th century.

The tower of the whales is located on the commune of Saint-Clément-des-Baleines,à the North-western point of the island of Ré. Many strandings of whales took place in the past, from where the name of the headlight and of the commune.
The tower was built of 1669 to 1682 by architect AUGIER, on order of Colbert, and a program of Vauban to be useful, with the headlight of Chassiron on the island of Oléron, of cover advanced with the arsenal of Rochefort, created in 1666.
The tower had function of monitoring, ensuring the protection of the naval port of Rochefort and allowing the maritime observation. It ensured the assistance navigation and lighting, burning fish oil.
She was built with hard stones of Saint-Savinien, in Poitou-Charentes. The tower is always upright nowadays. The old tower of the Whales was on classified Historic building June 22, 1904. Of a height 29 m, and 8 m in diameter, and built with hard stones of Saint-Savinien, it comprises 3 stages with 3 parts which one can reach by a spiral staircase.
The old tower is replaced by the Lighthouse of the Whales at the Western point of the island of Ré, built of 1849 and brought into service in 1854.
http://www.lepharedesbaleines.fr/vieille_tour.htm

Lighthouse of the Whales, 19th century.

The lighthouse of the Whales is located on the commune of Saint-Clément-des-Baleines, with the Western point of the island of Ré. Many strandings of whales had place in the past, from where the name of the lighthouse. One have access at the top, 57 m, by a helicoid staircase of 257 steps. The rise is impressive, most courageous risk a glance above the rambarde, the others shave the walls.
The lighthouse, classified historic building in 1999, is worth visiting and still functions, its fire has a range of 39 kilometers.
Built since 1849, it replaced in 1854 a tower, the Tower of the Whales of 21 meters built in 1682 on the orders of Vauban and which remains in the north of the lighthouse. http://www.lepharedesbaleines.fr/grand_phare.htm
http://www.lepharedesbaleines.fr/grand_phare.htm


Saint-Clément-des-Baleines is a French commune, located on the Island of Ré, department of the Charente-Maritime, Poitou-Charentes area, populated of 728 Villagers and Villageoises, distributed on 7 km², is 107 hab/km².

There are of important remainders blockhouse of the Atlantic Wall, dating from the Second World war. Certain scenes of film "the longest day" were turned on the Northern beach http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint-Cl%C3%A9ment-of-Whales.

My images of Saint-Clément-des-Baleines.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1096
Points: 30
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by joel berthonneau (jlbrthnn) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7322 W: 0 N: 24066] (79791)
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH