In 1863 Leo Lesca and his brother bought a large estate on the edge of the Basin, between the place called 'the Boque at Cap Ferret and Claouey.
Back from Algeria, the building contractor, built a fabulous set including 'Villa Algeria' - surrounded by a park with the most diverses- exotic species is the major element.
Over the years, Leon Lesca develops and transforms its field. It creates fish tanks, operates the forest and the oyster beds, plant a vineyard, built a dozen homes for personal, school, pier, a rectory and chapel.
Only today remain the back wall of the 'cave', a rock bridge, two chests and the Chapel of St. Mary of the Cape.
The architect JEOrmières who realizes, in 1885, the building of neo-Moorish style, for a Catholic church. On the bell tower, the comparison between the cross and the crescent moon, Latin and Arabic inscriptions reflect the cultural influences of the Sponsor.
The Polychrome, the presence of ceramic tiles with geometric and floral patterns, the use of the horseshoe arch, here lobed, are all elements that reflect the influence of Moorish architecture.
The chapel was blessed September 8, 1885 by Father Lacouture. It was long the only place of worship of the peninsula, there were to walk through the forest or pinnace from Arcachon. The first and only chaplain was Father Noailles.
Now owned by the city of Lege-Cap Ferret, listed as a historic monument since 2008, she is always assigned to the Catholic faith. In June 2011 a complete renovation is completed.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Jean Philippe TUR (tenretin) (2559)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2014-08-16
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Sony alpha 37, DT 3.5-5.6 / 18-55 SAM
- Exposure: f/4, 1/60 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2014-08-19 8:18