Photos

Photographer's Note

At the end of the Albigensian Crusade , the power of the bishop is reinforced by the political elimination of Trencavels family. The construction of a bishop's palace began in the thirteenth century under the leadership of Durand de Beaucaire . This is first of a noble house, which includes housing of the bishop, a reception hall, a watchtower and backed by the ecclesiastical court prison. Durand 's successor , Bernard de Combret , bigger buildings and surrounded by ramparts .

From 1276 , Bernard de Castanet actually a fortress. Tower Saint -Michel is enhanced and it is a sister Assistant , St. Catherine's turn. All peaks at 50 meters as a stately tower. The accommodation is expanded to accommodate the Inquisitors charged to destroy any trace of heresy cathare.

The construction of such a building to protect the bishops of Albi, became masters of the city after the Albigensian Crusade , hostilities of the Cathars and the citizens of the city. It also helps protect against possible external attacks and strengthen the presence of Inquisition3 . The palace is surrounded by curtain walls and exterior walls to Tarn .

During the fourteenth century, the building does not change : the plague depopulated the countryside and weakened the finances of the city. It is from 1474 that Louis I d'Amboise , thanks to his personal fortune and his knowledge of artists close to the government , is major work . The curtain wall is replaced by buildings is fashionable Loire ( slate roof among others) the dungeon partially dismantled , the parade replaced by a French garden and the walls overlooking the Tarn reduced to become a promenade . his work is continued by his nephew, Louis II d'Amboise .

In 1905 , the palace houses the Museum Albi . After the death of the painter Henri de Toulouse- Lautrec in 1922 , he became the Toulouse-Lautrec museum , housing many works of the artist.

The palace is listed as a historic monument in 1862 after the ceiling was restored by the painter Léon Soulie ; some interiors are 14 September 1965 . In 2010 , it is included with the Sainte -Cécile cathedral in the site of the Episcopal City of Albi , inscribed in 2010 by UNESCO on the list of worldwide heritage.

abmdsudi, Romano46 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 422
Points: 16
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Jean Philippe TUR (tenretin) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 170 W: 7 N: 324] (2386)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH