Photos

Photographer's Note

October 15, 2008
La Roque-Sainte-Marguerite 120204 12100
Aveyron Midi-Pyrénées
44.125 3.223 420 m

Castle of Montcalm of XIIe XVe centuries, in the village of Saint-Véran.

One sight
Other sight

The village of Saint-Véran of which architecture is typical of Causses, is dominated by the castle which belonged to the family of the Marquis Louis Joseph of MONTCALM, Lord of Saint-Véran born on February 28, 1712 with the castle of Candiac close to Nimes, baptized in the vicinity in Vauvert, and died in the combat on September 14, 1759 in front of town of Quebec in Canada.
The castle is quoted in 1195 of the name of Saint-Véran, and after several lords successive owners became property of Montcalm, middle-class family and of doctor in Millau.

The village dominates the church Notre-Dame des Treilles of Romanesque style of XIIe century.
One discovers there the landscape of the Dourbie river valley, the old houses, their old roofs, les old strets.

Montcalm entered the army at the age of nine years, and took part brilliantly in various military campaigns in Europe, and in 1747 sergeant, "Brigadier", by Louis XV was promoted.
In 1756, during the Seven Year old war, it is sent to Quebec, and is named brigadier, "Maréchal de camp", for the operations in News-France. After having conducted victorious campaigns against the English, it is promoted with the rank of general lieutenant, "Lieutenant général", second in the French military hierarchy.
It supported the siege of the town of Quebec for three months before being mortally wounded at the time of the battle of the plains of Abraham.
It have 10 children of his wife, Angélique Talon du Boulay, married on October 2, 1734.

La Roque-Sainte-Marguerite is a french commune, located in the department of Aveyron of the Midi-Pyrenees area, populated of 172 Margueritois, divided on 50 km², that is to say 3 hab./km².

The commune is made up of 3 villages: La Roque, in the valley of Dourbie river; Saint-Véran, cradle of the family of Montcalm, on the buttresses of Causse Noir and Pierrefiche on Causse of Larzac.

Dourbie is a Cevennes river. It takes its source with the mount of Aulas, in Linguas, to 1300 m, the south of the mountain of Aigoual, in the department of Gard.
It also runs in the department of Aveyron and is thrown, after 920 m of unevenness and 72 km of course through throats and valleys between Black Causse and Causse of Larzac, in Millau in the Tarn with the bridge of Cureplat to 320 m, him even tributary of the Garonne.
Its irregular and seasonal course with known the minimal flow of 2,9 cubic meters a second, to reach up to 728 cubic meters a second maximum flow.
Dourbie is famous near the trout fishermen.

My images of la Roque-Sainte-Marguerite.

Photo Information
Viewed: 4816
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by joel berthonneau (jlbrthnn) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 7319 W: 0 N: 23006] (76037)
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
  • Languedoc-Roussillon photo
    #
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH