Photos

Photographer's Note

The picture was in fact taken on Rue Saint-Antoine in the Marais quarter of the city.

The church is dedicated to Saint Paul and Saint Louis. The present building was constructed from 1627 to 1641 by the Jesuit architects Étienne Martellange and François Derand on the orders of Louis XIII of France.

The first stone was laid by the King in 1627 for the Jesuits in the same street as the old chapel of St Paul. Its first name was 'église Saint-Louis de la maison professe des Jésuites', in reference to the Maison Professe des Jésuites attached to it.

Its design included traditional French elements as well as others inspired by Italian church architecture. It may be compared to the Gesu in Rome, though it is longer and wider than that church. Its plan is a compromise between the Gesu's single nave flanked by side chapels and the traditional French cruciform plan, as is to be seen in its long transepts.

The tall windows in these prominent transepts and the short eastern apse allow in large amounts of light and the dome under the crossing also recalls Italian architecture of a slightly earlier period, such as that of Carlo Maderno. In contrast, the high proportions (the dome is 55 metres high) are more comparable to French Gothic architecture.

The façade is also Italian but with French Gothic verticality and Dutch high ornamentation. Its main inspiration was the 1618 façade of the église Saint-Gervais-Saint-Protais de Paris by Salomon de Brosse, which has the same design of three bays with two levels on the side bays and three levels for the central bay, highlighted by a projection and doubled columns. It uses Corinthian columns on the two lower levels and composite order columns on the rest.

(Source: Wikipedea)

Royaldevon, Noel_Byrne, ikeharel, pierrefonds, Romano46, macjake, Cricri, edcone has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 489
Points: 36
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Stephen Nunney (snunney) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 6111 W: 61 N: 17754] (79973)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH