The Eiffel Tower was built in 1889 as an entrance to the World Fair of that year in Paris. It's one of the most recognizable structures in the world and also the tallest structure in Paris.
No other paid monument anywhere in the world has had as many visitors. In 2010 the 250 millionth visitor was acknowledged.
Although it was opened until 1 AM, we didn't go up. Despite the late hour a lot of people were waiting in line.
Paris was crowded with tourists. Other significant places we didn't go, were the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile and the Catacombs. All due to the long waiting lines. But we payed a visit to the Musée d'Orsay and to the Centre Pompidou...
The Eiffel Tower was to be dismantled in 1909, but luckily this never happened.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Kaj Nordstrom (kajenn) (2424)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2013-07-24
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Olympus SP-820UZ, Olympus ED 4.0-160.0mm f/3.4-5.7, JPEG 80 ISO
- Exposure: f/3.4, 1/20 seconds
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): In the middle of the night... [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2013-10-18 20:49