Photos

Photographer's Note

" The Place Stanislas
Until the mid- 17th century, a vast esplanade separating the Old Town and the New Town of Nancy. Stanislas Leszczynski , the former king of Poland, became Duke of Lorraine in 1737 , will project to establish a place to honor and glorify his son King Louis XV of France . First of all French royal places , it sanctifies the Royal brand image while hosting the popular festivities.

For this site, Stanislas and his architect Emmanuel Héré chose an ideal place for their project. Marshal de Belle- Isle, military leader of the fortress , there was a long time opposition. In March 1752 , officially laid the foundation stone of the first pavilion and Place Royale solemnly inaugurated in November 1755.

At the center of this square stood a bronze statue , the work of sculptors GUIBAL Bartholomew and Paul- Louis Cyfflé representing Louis XV dressed in antique. The statue disappeared and allegories to the Revolution and it was not until 1831 that inaugurated a new statue of Stanislas ( implementing the " Prix de Rome " Jacquot ) .

All around the square, Emmanuel Héré built pavilions same classical order, punctuated by playing a colossal order. It is to the south, the grand façade of the Town Hall which is decorated weapons of Stanislas and the emblem of the city of Nancy . It is to the east , the Grand Hotel , formerly the flag of Intendant Alliot and Opera Nancy and Lorraine , formerly Hotel Farms and west Jacquet flag and the Museum of Fine Arts which housed at the time of Stanislas , the College of Medicine. North , where stood the curtain uniting strongholds Vaudémont and Haussonville , Emmanuel Héré conceived the " low side " limited to only first level of the other pavilions, for reasons of military defense.

Grids Jean Lamour uniting the buildings to each other by their shape and decoration testify , with fountains of Neptune and Amphitrite made ​​by Bartholomew GUIBAL , the rock art .

In 2005, after two years of work , Place Stanislas, now completely pedestrianized , regains its original splendor , with a clear pavement with two diagonal black cobblestones still structure the space . The grids are restored , as well as decorative elements and buildings that surround it . "

http://www.nancy-tourisme.fr/decouvrir/histoire-et-patrimoine/unesco/place-stanislas/

snunney, ourania has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 604
Points: 26
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Magaly PAGANO (Giustiniani) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 166 W: 8 N: 342] (2769)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH