Photos

Photographer's Note

Les Ponts Couverts : defensive structure vantage point

This building disappeared in the early twentieth century and instead today we can find one of the many restaurants in the area Alsatian cuisine . It is located on the back of one of the three towers les Halles ( covered bridges ), which mark the entrance to the Petite France in Strasbourg 's historic center , declared World Heritage by UNESCO in 1988.

These fortifications were erected between 1228 and 1234 to strengthen the defense system of the city and its origin were linked by covered galleries hence its name from the eighteenth century were replaced by bridges, first of wood and then stone.

At that time they had already lost its military function because of the construction will Barrage Vauban ( Vauban weir ) built after the annexation of the city to the French crown in 1681. This structure allowed the flooding around the south of the city to defend itself in this case , the attacks from the east of the Rhine and currently has a panoramic terrace from which there is one of the best views in Strasbourg.


-----------------------------------------------------


Les Ponts Couverts: de estructura defensiva a mirador privilegiado

Este edificio desapareció a principios del siglo XX y en su lugar hoy podemos encontrar uno de los muchos restaurantes de cocina alsaciana de la zona. Está situado a la espalda de una de las tres torres de les Ponts Couverts (los puentes cubiertos), que marcan la entrada en la Petite France y en el centro histórico de Estrasburgo, declarado patrimonio de la humanidad por la Unesco en 1988.

Estas fortificaciones fueron erigidas entre 1228 y 1234 para reforzar el sistema defensivo de la ciudad y en su origen estaban unidas por galerías cubiertas de ahí su nombre que a partir del siglo XVIII fueron sustituidas por puentes, primero de madera y luego de piedra.

En ese momento ya habían perdido su función militar a causa de la construcción de le Barrage Vauban (la presa Vauban), construida tras la anexión de la ciudad a la corona de Francia en 1681. Esta estructura permitía la inundación de todo el sur de la ciudad para defenderse, en este caso, de los ataques provenientes del este del Rhin y actualmente cuenta con una terraza panorámica desde la que hay una de las mejores vistas de Estrasburgo.

Photo Information
Viewed: 603
Points: 48
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Luis Garcia (adramad) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 4746 W: 5 N: 7663] (35375)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH