Photos

Photographer's Note

A black and white version of the Fortress of Chinon
Chinon is a commune in the Indre-et-Loire department in central France well known for the Château de Chinon, a medieval castle which at times served as the residence of the kings of France and England. The settlement of Chinon is on the bank of the Vienne river about 6 miles (10 km) from where it joins the Loire.Chinon was included in the French royal estates in 1205. It was during the Hundred Years' War that the town took on a new lease of life, as the heir apparent, the future Charles VII of France, had sought refuge in 1418 in the province. The town remained faithful to him and he made lengthy stays at his court in Chinon. In 1429, Joan of Arc came here to acknowledge him.

From the sixteenth century, Chinon was no longer a royal residence.


larger version



Une version noir et blanc de la forteresse de Chinon.

Chinon est située au sud-ouest de la Touraine, aux confins de l’Anjou et du Poitou. La ville de Chinon est implantée à un endroit où la Vienne vient affleurer une falaise de tuffeau.

Le château est construit au sommet du coteau, la ville basse sur l’étroite bande de terrain qui sépare le coteau de la rivière. Chinon connaît une croissance urbaine importante au XIIe siècle, lorsque Henri II, comte d’Anjou devenu roi d’Angleterre en 1154, fait du château de Chinon une de ses résidences préférées. En 1205, après la conquête du château par Philippe-Auguste, la ville passe dans le domaine des rois Capétiens, qui continuent de venir y séjourner.

Au début du XVe siècle, pendant la guerre de Cent ans, Chinon devient une des résidences préférées du roi Charles VII, venu se réfugier en Touraine et Berry. C’est ici que Jeanne d’Arc vient le rencontrer pour la première fois, en 1429.

timecapturer, bukitgolfb301, Cricri, adores has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 492
Points: 28
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Jean Jacques Cordier (jjcordier) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 6373 W: 241 N: 10977] (73404)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH