Photos

Photographer's Note

The yacht port of Helsinki

Helsinki facing the Baltic Sea, it commands busy transit on its pier, ferry boats and marina.
On the photo is visible one of Helsinki's numerous yachting marinas. On the right is a causeway leading to Tervasaari island, where merchants used to store their tar in the 17th century. Now a park with a summer restaurant, this island is a popular place for a walk.
The redbrick buildings (in the background) served as barracks until the early 20th century but were taken over by the Military Academy in 1924. They now house the Military Museum and the Academy has moved out to Santahamina.

A short history of Helsinki

At the command of Gustavus Wasa, the King of Sweden, Helsinki was built at the mouth of the River Vantaa in 1550. The King ordered the burghers from Rauma, Ulvila, Porvoo and Tammisaari to move to Helsinki. The new town was supposed to compete for Russian trade with the town of Tallinn on the opposite shore of the Gulf of Finland.
For a long time, Helsinki grew very slowly. In the hope of attaining a better harbour, Helsinki was relocated further south to its current location by the open sea in the mid-17th century.

In the 18th century, Helsinki had to face great ordeals: war, plague and famine. The Russians invaded Helsinki during the Greater Wrath lasting from 1713 to 1721, and again in 1742. Fortification of Helsinki became a priority of the Swedish defence policy.
In 1748, the construction of a sea fortress at Suomenlinna, which is among the largest in Europe, was begun. The fortress was then known as the Gibraltar of the North. The fortress is currently a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it received the Europa Nostra award in 2000.

As a result of a war between Sweden and Russia, Finland was annexed as an autonomous Grand Duchy of the Russian Empire. Helsinki was made the capital of the Grand Duchy in 1812, after which the historical Empire-style centre was built around Helsinki Cathedral. The country¿s only university was moved from Turku to Helsinki in 1827.

In the late 19th century, Helsinki grew rapidly and developed into a modern European city. Transport links important for an industrial town were created by building railroads to Hämeenlinna in 1862 and to St Petersburg in 1870. The population exceeded the 100,000-inhabitant mark at the beginning of the 20th century. (Source: Helsinki.fi)

Photo Information
Viewed: 2251
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH