The waterfront of Helsinki, capital of Finland (also known as "Suomi" in Finnish and now - "Nokialand").
I switched to B&W in the workshop for several reasons: first of all, in the original color shot the buildings had different colors, breaking the homogeneity of that long row facing the waterfront, but with B&W they look more harmonious; a feeling of old times, taking advantage of the fact that there are no modern buildings; and also the sky was greyish anyway
So this is what I had in mind when taking this shot, the following "frames of reference", appearing and interacting in a logical hierarchy:
- Nature, at its most ethereal and omnipresent form: the sky
- The State, human society, represented by a state flag (in this case, the flapping Finnish flag)
- Religion, represented by that tall Cathedral, and in a broader sense: soul, spirit, values
- Business and Commerce: those buildings in the waterfront, and the vessels on the waters; the mundane aspects of life
Critiques | Translate
ktanska (24624) 2006-02-20 6:50
A well thought out image leaving space for the sky. And it is amazing viepoint that those big ships provide. Waterfront of Helsinki really is amazingly consistent with its architecture.
Actually those buildings are mostly governmental, including the castle of the president.
Never mind the technical quality. I know you did your best.
Tue (27696) 2006-02-20 15:17
Great view of the skyline of Helsinki. The inclusion of the Finnish flag is very nice and I think the choice for B&W was a good one. Well done!
Angshu (55375) 2006-02-20 23:02
Your observations and thoughts that go into your shot blew me off, if not the shot. It's true that after reading your note, made me at least relook at the photo with a differenet perspective. Your observation and narration of the same just changes the thinking line.
Cheers just for the narrative
smash2707 (3320) 2006-03-04 20:28
I love the composition of your shot. The line of buildings looks great with the flag directly before the camera. Nice choice for B&W. And very interesting analysis of your picture. Regards, Yvonne
pierrefonds (56436) 2006-06-21 8:45
A good POV of the city of Helsinski and the floating flag in the foreground. The photo is sharp and clear. It has a good composition. Thanks for sharing.
- Copyright: daniel yoffe (pastadog) (13111)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Black & White
- Date Taken: 1989-05-00
- Categories: Architecture
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Helsinki Lutheran Cathedral, My Monochrome [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2006-02-20 3:35