Saint John (Jan) under the Cliff is a major pilgrimage site. In the 9th century reportedly settled there a Christian monk, hermit Jan. Later there was a Benedictine monastery. The church dates from 1661, the monastery buildings completed in 1730. The monastery abolished 1785. In the postwar period were here toughest jail in the country, 1953 canceled due to the intervention of the Red Cross. After that a forced labor camp to work in nearby quarries.
Nobody has marked this note useful