St. Vitus's Cathedral is the largest and the most important church in Prague.
This Gothic cathedral, the spiritual symbol of the Czech state, was founded by Jan Lucembursky (John of Luxembourg) and his sons Karel and Jan Jindrich.
It took nearly six centuries to build. Begun in 1344 by Mathias Arras and Petr Parler upon the site of a 10th century rotunda, the final phase of construction only ended during 1873-1929.
The cathedral contains underground tombs of Czech kings.
Parler also built St Wenceslas Chapel where the coronation jewels are deposited. The chapel is decorated with frescoes and semi-precious stones.