This house is situated in the lane that leads from Charles Bridge to Old Town Square.
"Originally a late-Gothic house from the 15th century, it was rebuilt in Renaissance style in the 16th century. The house used to be called “At the White Lion” and it used to be a pharmacy. A sculpture of a white lion is still there, at the corner of the building. The present name “At the Minute” means “at the diminutive”, because of the tobacco in little pieces, that used to be sold there."
"The sgraffitoes depict Hapsburg rulers Philip II. of Spain, Rudolph II., Maximilian II. and some others. Several typical Renaissance themes can be seen in the sgraffitoes: for example, three sons fighting for the heritage of their father."
"The writer Franz Kafka lived in the house with his family from 1889 to 1896."
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Barnabas Bozoki (bbarna) (546)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2011-09-24
- Categories: Architecture
- Exposure: f/3.5, 1/1250 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Europe [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2012-10-14 4:37