Photos

Photographer's Note

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Rovinj (Rovinj in Croatian, Istriot Ruvèigno or Ruveîgno, in ancient greek Ryginion, Ρυγίνιον) is a city of 14,367 inhabitants south-western part of Istria, Croatia. It stands on a rugged coastline and fronted by rocks and islets south of the Lim Channel, between Porec and Pula.

It is as the crow flies about 105 km from Venice, 65 km from Trieste, 125 from Marina di Ravenna and 155 from the port of Ancona.

The center has pre-Roman origins. Assumed importance under Roman rule only in the first centuries BCE when his name was Arupinum or Rubineus Mons and later Ruginium and Ruvinium, from where you have come to the present name. It was for centuries the city, among the most important of Istria, belonging to the Republic of Venice. After the fall of the latter and the Napoleonic period, it passed into the hands of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which remained until the end of the First World War. [1]
According to the data of the Tourist Board of the County (Region) Istria, Rovinj, by the number of overnight stays made, it is the second tourist destination in Croatia. Among the countries of origin of the numerous guests of Rovinj there are Germany, Italy, Austria and the Netherlands. On the territory of the city of Rovinj there are 10 hotels. In 2009. was opened the first 5-star hotel, the Monte Mills. There are many nudist clubs (FKK) in the surrounding area. The biggest is the village Valalta home to over six thousand people and was founded in 1968.
The Balbi Arch, built in 1680 is the ancient city gate, clearly Venetian style. The Church of St. Euphemia was built in 1736 using material from two old existing buildings: on the bottom of the right aisle there is the statue of St. Euphemia while his sarcophagus, dating from the sixth century, is located behind the high altar . The oldest church in town, however, is the Romanesque church of the Holy Trinity, a heptagonal, located in Piazza del Laco. There is a small art gallery showing mainly paintings of Venetian origin (XVIII century), and an aquarium.

ITALIANO

Da Wikipedia, l'enciclopedia libera.
Rovigno (in croato Rovinj, in istrioto Ruvèigno o Ruveîgno, in greco antico Ryginion, Ρυγίνιον) è una città di 14.367 abitanti dell'Istria sud-occidentale, in Croazia. Sorge su una costa frastagliata e fronteggiata da scogli ed isolotti a sud del Canale di Leme, tra Parenzo e Pola.

Dista in linea d'aria circa 105 km da Venezia, 65 km da Trieste, 125 da Marina di Ravenna e 155 dal Porto di Ancona.

Il centro ha origini pre-romane. Assunse importanza sotto il dominio romano solo nei primi secoli dell'Era volgare quando il suo nome era Arupinum o Mons Rubineus e successivamente anche Ruginium e Ruvinium, da cui poi si è giunti al nome attuale. Fu per secoli città, fra le più importanti d'Istria, appartenente alla Serenissima Repubblica di Venezia. Dopo la caduta di quest'ultima e la parentesi napoleonica, passò nelle mani dell'Impero Austro-Ungarico, a cui rimase sino la fine della Prima guerra mondiale.[1]
In base ai dati dell’Ente per il Turismo della Contea (Regione) Istriana, Rovigno, per il numero di pernottamenti realizzati, è la seconda destinazione turistica della Croazia. Tra i paesi d’origine dei più numerosi ospiti della città di Rovigno ci sono la Germania, l’Italia, l’Austria e l’Olanda. Sul territorio della città di Rovigno si contano 10 alberghi. Nel 2009. è stato aperto il primo hotel a 5 stelle, l'hotel Monte Mulini. Numerosi sono i centri naturisti (FKK) nei dintorni. Il più grande è il villaggio Valalta che ospita oltre seimila persone e che fu fondato nel 1968.
L'Arco dei Balbi, costruito nel 1680 è l'antica porta della città, in stile chiaramente veneziano. La Chiesa di Sant'Eufemia fu costruita nel 1736 utilizzando materiale proveniente da due antichi edifici preesistenti: sul fondo della navata laterale destra si trova la statuetta di Santa Eufemia mentre il suo sarcofago, risalente al VI secolo, è collocato alle spalle dell'altare maggiore. La più antica chiesa cittadina è però la romanica Chiesetta della Santissima Trinità, a pianta eptagonale, collocata in Piazza del Laco. È presente una piccola pinacoteca che mostra principalmente quadri di origine veneta (XVIII secolo), ed un acquario.

Romano46, ourania, Kofman, Silvio1953, cornejo, cornejo, Cricri, bayno, s_lush has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1757
Points: 40
Discussions
Additional Photos by Marino Rubinich (kennyblack) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 361 W: 16 N: 946] (4207)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH