The Alesha monument is 11 meters in height, and is located on the Bonardzhik Hill in Plovdiv. It consists of the figure of a Soviet Army soldier with his head turned to the east, holding down a Shpagin machine pistol in one hand. Its foundation bears a five-pointed star and an inscription in Bulgarian reading, “Glory to the Invincible Soviet Liberator Army.”
It was built in 1955-1956 & commemorates the liberation by the Soviet Army from the Nazis. In the beginning of the 90-s they thought about taking it off but later the Municipality decided that is emblematic for the city so they left it there.From this high point overlooking Plovdiv, you can get one of the best views of the city.
The man who served as the model for the sculpture is still alive. His name is Aleksey Skurlatov, and he is the man, whose picture from 1944 was used by Bulgarian sculptors to design the Monument of Alesha.
In July 2010, Skurlatov was awarded a medal by the Bulgarian President. The Red Army veteran, who now resides in the Altai Republic in Central Russia, received a Bulgarian order entitled “65 Years since the Victory over Fascism” presented to him by local governor Alexandr Karlin, and an invitation by the Bulgarian authorities to visit Bulgaria.