Tvrdos (the 4th-6th century)is Serbian Orthodox Monastery, which is 4.5 km faraway from Trebinje, on the road to Mostar, has been built on the foundations of an old church. It was existing in continuity from the Late Antiquity (the 4th-6th century) but it was frequently destroyed and reconstructed. In 1694 it was devastated in the fights between Venetians and Turks. On that occasion the whole monastery’s treasury was taken to monastery Savina near Herceg Novi, where it has been still kept. At the beginning of the 16th century the monastery was painted by Dubrovnik’s icon-painter Vicko Lovrov and Trebinje’s monk Marko Stefanov. In the first half of the 16th century monastery of Tvrdos was the biggest writing-room in Slovene south, and, at the same time, it was cultural and spiritual centre of the wider area.
Nobody has marked this note useful
Critiques | Translate
ACL1978 (5755) 2013-02-24 7:28
Hello Igor - nice look at this old monastery. Good light and angle, though the result is a bit skewed by the wide angle of the shot. Nice clear blue sky behind. Thanks!
omid266 (527) 2013-02-24 19:30