In the 1960s the tram network of Gent decreased rapidly, there were eleven routes (1-10, 20) in 1961. By 1974 there were just four; the route to Melle closed on New Year's Eve, 1973.
- In 1961 the tram property was transferred from the TEG Tramway Electriques de Gand to the MIVG (Maatschappij voor Intercommunaal Vervoer te Gent) municipal organization.
- Until 1974 the archaic two/three-axle trams "de oude gele tramkes" (old little yellow trams) were used on Gent's tram network. During their working life, they were rebuilt and refurbished several times.
- Plans for a Premetro were made in the 1970s but were abandoned.
- In 1989 the trolleybus operated along the former tram route 3. In June 2009, the trolleybus stopped running, and under the Pegasusplan the route will revert to tram operation.
- In 1991, the MIVG tram undertaking became part of De Lijn.
- In the 1990s Gent's tram system started to expand again. In 1993 route 21 was extended to Melle Leeuw. In 1999, routes 21/22 were extended from Sint-Pieters to Zwijnaardebrug, near the E40 motorway; a further extension to Zwijnaarde-Dorp south of the E40 is scheduled to open in 2012. The last extension to the network (to date) took place on April 15, 2005, when route 1 was extended to the Flanders Expo complex.
- Starting in 1998, the modernization of Gent PCC trams took place, this modernization featured the completely new interior, separate driver's cab, and better air conditioning equipment.
- Since 2000, the Gent tram network started to receive new generation Low Floor tram stock, these trams were named HermeLijn (a pun on the Dutch word for ermine). Prior to this, such trams were supplied in Antwerp. Unlike Antwerp, PCC trams used in Gent are double-ended. HermeLijn in Gent, of the first order have serial number 6301 — 6314. In 2005 another order of 17 HermeLijn trams arrived in Gent (6315 — 6331). Another ten arrived in 2007 (6332 - 6341).
Critiques | Translate
timecapturer (30342) 2013-01-05 3:39
signature shot from you Daniel! You are the tram image man on TE!! Superbly aspected composition with the tram bearing down on you menacingly, but it makes for a superb shot! Executed perfectly with fine detail, light and character. Excellent!
Enjoy the weekend - regards Brian.
Schnappilic (7929) 2013-01-05 4:38
Interesanta atmosfera din Ghent. O compozitie reusita cu un pavaj umed in care se reflecta lumini. Bravo!
Sergiom (39298) 2013-01-05 5:46
Gent est une très belle ville.Ce cadrage vertical est bien construit et le tramway apporte de la profondeur à la composition. J'aime cette très haute tour qui se dresse dans un ciel gris.
Silvio1953 (98217) 2013-01-05 6:06
Ciao Daniel, lovely composition with beautiful tram and walking couple, fascinating architecture as BG, splendid light, wonderful colors and beautiful persppective, very well done, my friend, have a good week end, ciao Silvio
Nicou (97775) 2013-01-05 6:10
Quel rendu brillant sur le pavage avec les deux personnage et ce tram quelle vue et le clocher en fond fantastique cadrage et ensemble.
Bravo et amitié
adramad (27556) 2013-01-05 8:00
Very nice picture of this lively street by people, magnificent facades perspective, the tram gives a nice touch to the composition.
Enjoy the weekend.
macjake (39235) 2013-01-05 8:51
I'm very much a fan of these city streets, I have similar ones taken in San Francisco.
again, i like the way the wires spread out like spiders web.
its cool to see the city streets in this wet and rainy atmosphere as apposed to the usual 'perfect' day photos.
lousat (57704) 2013-01-05 15:31
Hi Daniel,very very nice perspective,the tram looks like in mouvement in the pic,great composition and quality despite the difficult light.Have a nice Sunday and thanks,Luciano
annjackman (13227) 2013-01-05 23:59
The atmosphere with its wet street and reflected light is very good. I like the position of the couple and the tram.
Best wishes for 2013.
GREGG (8243) 2013-01-06 4:01
A nice street scene,
I like the tram with a green sign
Wish you all the best for the New Year
holmertz (26980) 2013-01-06 4:22
I like the wet and rather grey atmosphere in this picture. The light of the lamp is reflected in the wet street and the green signs brighten the whole view, along with the very small red light on the building to the right.
danos (74056) 2013-01-06 23:17
nice the view of the passing by Gentse tram this moody day with the vertical format to be the most proper for the moment.The couple adds life in the image.
Have a good week,Danos
claudeD (24173) 2013-01-07 0:04
very interesting picture from Ghent with a good composition and fine colors.Very good and informative note.I like the view very much.Very well done.TFS.
With regards from Luxembourg
abmdsudi (26295) 2013-01-07 8:19
A lovely neat and lively street scene at low light hour, clean & authentic in wonderful clarity, tones, brilliant detail and good contrast. The beautiful architecture adds the framing with so much delicacy to absorb while speck of vivid colors just pop out strongly. The tram offers a strong diagonal touch and extending the depth. Well taken, excellent pov, tremendous shot so full of interest. A well written notes to go along. Well done, Congrats.
- Copyright: Daniel Draghici (dkmurphys) (36831)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-12-26
- Categories: Daily Life, Transportation, Architecture
- Camera: Nikon D60
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): urban railway [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2013-01-05 2:35