Here is the Fortress again.
It shows a part of the core of the fort, the main ring made of brick called the citadel, which is facing the river Muchavets (to the right of the picture frame). This river in turn joins with the Bug right a few meters away from this spot. It is because of the strategic location that a fortress was built here by the Russian Tsarist government in first half of the 19th Century.
The initial phase of the construction lasted from 1836 until 1842. The defenses were then progressively modernized and expanded throughout the 19th century, with forts added around the original citadel.
Today, some of these defenses (Terespol Fortifications) are located in another country, Poland, just because river Bug forms the border between the two states.
Nobody has marked this note useful